Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting engine parts????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting engine parts????

Has anyone painted their engine coil covers and the intake? Did your paint shop sand them or scuff them with a 3M pad? Was there aspecial prep used on the composite plastic? My body guy tells me that the plastic will fuzz and lift when paint is sprayed on it and give a very rough appearance. Any thoughts?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by piecesparts
Has anyone painted their engine coil covers and the intake? Did your paint shop sand them or scuff them with a 3M pad? Was there aspecial prep used on the composite plastic? My body guy tells me that the plastic will fuzz and lift when paint is sprayed on it and give a very rough appearance. Any thoughts?
I have not got to the Camaro yet, but when painting the valve cover on my Mitsubishi all I did was degrease the crap out of it and then paint it with high temp paint... I did not use any primer or sealer at all and the paint is sticking fine (no flaking or peeling at all). I did wash it down with lacquer thinner before painting just to make sure it was clean, but that was all.
As far as the intake on the LS1 goes, It probably will look a little rough after painting just because it is not perfectly smooth to start with, but I really would not worry about the paint lifting or peeling. If you really want it to stick good, use a little bit of primer before you paint it.

Tip: If you leave any oil or crud on your pieces before you paint them the paint will try to lift at that spot... Do not use laquer thinner to clean a plastic intake, It may try to melt so just use a mild detergent instead.

Good Luck with your project, Hope it works out well for you...
Old 06-06-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to look in the appearance section there lots of people with painted intakes.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its not the intake. But I have painted several parts in the engine bay, throttle body, MAF, valve covers. All I did for prep was to degrease the hell out of them, then high temp primer (2 coats), then high temp paint (3 coats), then high temp clear (2 coats). Did this over a year ago and everything is holding strong and looks just as good as the day I did it.

Here are some recent pics :

Old 06-07-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by piecesparts
I'd go to a local paint shop and get some plastic primer. They make special formulas to stick to the plastic. I've heard of some paints lifting off because the plastic is whatever the hell it is. maybe because its a petroleum byproduct? in either case, id try and do it right the first time. you dont want to have to pull it off in a year to repaint it.

Quick Reply: Painting engine parts????