Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Favorite Tire Dressing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PERL. It gives a nice a satin look on first coat. If you want to up the sheen you can add more coats. I prefer the "new tire" satin look.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
idkw cg v.p.s. I, wii?
I should know better by now that to try and post on my phone. Sorry about that.

Chemical Guys V.R.P.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use a stuff called areoshine. the business i work for gets it and its super expensive but is awesome. You clean the tire with degreaser and apply a black dye type of stuff the get the tire a deep black and then there is a clear applied over that after it dries. Stuff will last 6 months easy on my daily driver.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Favorite is Duragloss 253. Close second is CarPro PERL.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Was using VRT for awhile until I tried their new tire shine. I like the wetter look the tire shine provides but I have only done one wash since I got it so I cant comment on sling. I too let my car sit for 1+ hour before driving it so slinging isn't usually something I worry about.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Was using VRT for awhile until I tried their new tire shine. I like the wetter look the tire shine provides but I have only done one wash since I got it so I cant comment on sling. I too let my car sit for 1+ hour before driving it so slinging isn't usually something I worry about.
Yeah, I'm a fan of the wetter look too. I'm going to continue using the Adams Tire Shine. Like I said before, I've tried a lot and this stuff is by far the best I've used, and yields great results.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

meguiars hot shine here!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam's VRT for me.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Armor All extreme tire shine gel, comes with applicator sponge, cant beat the price and very durable
Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone try cover all? Just put it on and its the wettest look I've ever used. Supposed to not sling at all either. It is an aerosol and kind of lays down like a glue. $8 from orlieys. Need to make a cardboard shield now to go over the rim when i spray.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

This is my go to. It does great and is at wal mart most of the time.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

CarPro PERL or Adams VRT. The thing most people don't understand is the cleaner you get your tires the longer it will last/perform.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
CarPro PERL or Adams VRT. The thing most people don't understand is the cleaner you get your tires the longer it will last/perform.
Actually I don't understand that. Do you have any proof that cleaning the sidewall of your tire is beneficial in any way? I'm not saying that you are not correct, but I only know people that think cleaning tires is bad not good. I'm just using my car for AutoX right now, and nobody that I know that Autocrosses will use any cleaning product on their tires because they don't want to damage the tire.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Actually I don't understand that. Do you have any proof that cleaning the sidewall of your tire is beneficial in any way? I'm not saying that you are not correct, but I only know people that think cleaning tires is bad not good. I'm just using my car for AutoX right now, and nobody that I know that Autocrosses will use any cleaning product on their tires because they don't want to damage the tire.

It's no different than cleaning/prepping paint before you wax or coat it. No different than cleaning glass before coating it or applying Rain X.

Certain products are designed to bond to certain surfaces. If there is dirt or contaminants on the surface, it's not going to bond or last as long.

Regardless of the surface, if you are using something that is damaging it...you are probably using the wrong product.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Anyone try cover all? Just put it on and its the wettest look I've ever used. Supposed to not sling at all either. It is an aerosol and kind of lays down like a glue. $8 from orlieys. Need to make a cardboard shield now to go over the rim when i spray.
x2 on the cover all. Great stuff with 0 sling and it last soooo long.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It's no different than cleaning/prepping paint before you wax or coat it. No different than cleaning glass before coating it or applying Rain X.

Certain products are designed to bond to certain surfaces. If there is dirt or contaminants on the surface, it's not going to bond or last as long.

Regardless of the surface, if you are using something that is damaging it...you are probably using the wrong product.
Oh ok... I didn't get what you were saying. Yes cleaning tires is ok, I would hesitate to use a product other than soap / water because removing all the discoloration "bloom" can actually damage the rubber. I also just clean the tires and don't dress them because to me tires shouldn't be shiny
Old 06-07-2018, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Oh ok... I didn't get what you were saying. Yes cleaning tires is ok, I would hesitate to use a product other than soap / water because removing all the discoloration "bloom" can actually damage the rubber. I also just clean the tires and don't dress them because to me tires shouldn't be shiny
Cleaning and protecting the tires will slow down the blooming. However if you use something really strong it can cause the top layer of rubber to deteriorate faster.

Sometimes tires are also manufactured improperly. I had a set of BFG's on a 69 Camaro I did last year. Tires were pretty much brand new and were brown and nothing would clean them up. After talking to the manufacturer they admitted they had a bad run of tires and sent him a new set for free.

I'm with you on the shiny tire thing. That's why I like PERL and Adams. PERL gives a "natural" rubber look, it also depends on how you dilute it. Adams gives just a little gloss. If you want more gloss, wait a big and put another coat on. If you want less, let it sit for 5 minutes or so then wipe it down with a short nap MF towel.

Again all of this is my experience and my .02

I'm not saying I'm right or anyone else is wrong. I've been doing this long enough that I know what works for me as I'm sure other things work for other people.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I use CarPro Perl. Prior I used Zaino Z16. Both leave the tires looking like natural rubber with no synthetic shine.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just started using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing last year mixed 3:1 on both my cars and I like it. Its water based so no slime or build up to worry about. Leaves a nice natural look that isn't shiny. Its pretty cheap too and you can use it on exterior plastic, wheel wells and the engine.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brewcrew011
Armor All extreme tire shine gel, comes with applicator sponge, cant beat the price and very durable
I'll second this one - this is what I use and have found is the best of the "off the shelf" standard tire shines. Like any tire shine you have to use it sparingly or else you'll fling it everywhere, but if you put it on carefully and not too thick it looks great, and lasts a long time. I'm not a fan of most Armor All products, but this stuff is effective and lasts quite a while.

Quick Reply: Favorite Tire Dressing