Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

2001 Pontiac Firebird HID kit problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Pontiac Firebird HID kit problems

Hey guys!

Just upgraded to the slim 35w HID kit from supervtec for my lows and my fogs. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that my car can handle the load caused by igniting the lights at the same time.

When I turn on the headlights, only one will turn on. I switched the bulb locations and it followed the bulb, so I replaced it. When I did, the other bulb stopped working, so I'm inclined to think it's an electrical issue.

I have no problem with a DIY solution, but am not really sure what the best course of action to fix it is.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

did you try cycling the light switch off and on to see if the other would come on?
I had this problem once and it boils down to using the relaykit that most kits try and sell as an add on. Assuming that to be the issue, the other issue could be a faulty ballast.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't tried that yet because I want to avoid flashing the good one on and off. Even if it does get it to work, it's not really a solution.

The kit didn't come with a relay, just wires that plug into the existing wires for the headlights. If some relay would solve the issue, I'd like to know where to buy or how to make one.

As for the ballasts, I don't think they're the issue because they both seem to work, just not at the same time.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did that for years with my silverado and had no issues. The relay kit as usually sold through the company you buy them through. So id start with the seller of your kit.

If this is your issue the initial light up of HID's require a bit more juice so there sometimes wasnt enough supply due to whatever load was on the system at that time to fire both bulbs. Particularly on startup or if you have auto on for your headlights. the relay kit just connects both to the battery and use the signal for the headlamp on signal to trigger the relay.

Quick Reply: 2001 Pontiac Firebird HID kit problems