Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GFX Application?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GFX Application?

I remember reading somewhere about a urethane adhesive to help apply ground effects, but i cant find anything about it anywhere. What is this adhesive i am looking for or what other options does my body shop have to better apply them then just tape and self tapping screws? I ask because one of my side skirts was twisted during shipping so they are having doubts that it will stay on with just tape. The only other option is to heat it up, bend it back, and hope it stays.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think what you mean is adhesion promoter for the tape which is reccomended by most manufactuers. You can get that at Eastwood. As far as the side skirt goes why not send it back for another one?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Oh trust me i wish i could but before i got a chance to even see it they had the thing sanded and prepped. Wings Wets never would have taken back a prepped side skirt. I cant go after the guy doing it either because he is a family friend. Thats a lesson i should have learned a long time ago, never do business with friends or family.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well even with the promoter we still havent been able to get the rear to set right and stay...it always starts sagging...but hey we found a solution....all we did was take some windshield urethane and put in the groove of the ground effects then apply...but be careful this stuff is nasty with a capital N...lol..if u have anything other than a black car u need to be really careful about where u put the peice cause it will leave a mark where the urethane touched the body of the car. But other than that we put some maskin tape on to hold it in place over night and we havent had any problems since. well hope this works for u.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've never tried it on ground effects on a car, but i've used this stuff on other things, and it's some badass stuff. it's an industrial-strength silicone sealant called E-6000. i used to work with it at my job a long time ago, and i happened to "come across a few spare tubes" that stowed away in my car to go home with me. i used this stuff to seal up the seams on some plastic gutters on my mom's house...well, one day, my stepdad had to take some of it down, and he said it took about 10 minutes to get the pieces apart (on just one of the joints).

it's a clear sealant, and it's pretty easy to get any excess off, especially if you get it before it totally dries....like if you put it on and it squeezes out, come back in about 30 minutes and peel off the part that has come out, and it will come off pretty easy...but once the stuff sets up, it will hold like crazy. just be sure that the surfaces are extremely clean before applying it.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Where could i pick up that e 6000 stuff? Should i apply it after the fx are on or have him apply it to the upper edge of the gfx as e is applying them?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ace4parts.com/adhesives.htm

one thing to keep in mind is that it is a self-levelling silicone, so you'd have to have some way to keep it from running until it starts to set....and you would also need a way to keep the parts together until it sets up, cause it doesn't hold instantly

but once it does set up and cure, it's strong as hell