Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

driver's side mirror shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver's side mirror shaking?

Please help! i've noticed more and more that my driver's side mirror shakes slightly whenever I go over bumps with my 2002 camaro SS. I doesn't shake because of my stereo (which is stock), but, it does shake whenever I hit a bump (granted, i have the Bilstein package from SLP installed). How can I go about correcting this problem. I have my factory warrantee until May 15, 2005 and I would like to know the best approach to going about fixing it. If I bring it to the dealership, i don't want to have them work on it, and then come out worse than it originally was in the end. also, i'm pretty sure that the whole mirror is one unit and therefore would need painting if they decided that it needed replacement which means that it might not match the rest of the paint, granted, the car is always garaged and it only has 3700 miles on it with a dozen coats of zaino so i'm sure that the match would be VERY close since the paint hasn't had a chance to fade much. I guess i could survive with it the way it is if i had to, but, while i have the factory warrantee still, doesn't it make sense to have it looked at? or should I learn to live with it? i tried to wiggle it to see if it is the housing or the actual mirror itself, but, i can't tell. any thoughts?

thanks,

Peter

Last edited by WIKDSS; 07-08-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The mirror is connected to the motor assy by a croos piece of metal. It could be the mirror or the motor. May also be a loose motor. The only way to find out is to remove the mirror. It just snaps in. Push the mirror to one side and pop it out. Oops sorry, just saw you has a SS. Not sure on a SS how the mirror comes out. The T/A it just pops out. Check with somebody first before trying what I suggested since I have never done this to a Camero.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Launching!

The screws might of worked itself loose, when I was removing my drivers side mirror I dropped it on the ground and the mirror popped out. I had to take the motor out to install the mirror again, a real pain. It doesn't just pop back in. There is a screw on the bottom left behind the mirror. Turn the mirror all the way to the right and you might see it. It will take a small screwdriver to get it to tighten. Don't pry against the mirror, because you might pop it out. If that doesn't work, remove the mirror and tighten the other screw on right side mounting point. Mine used to shake like crazy, just by the idle of the engine. This is how I fixed mine.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

mine shakes real bad as well, granted, I have a TA, and I don't know the difference in the construction between the two. The problem with my mirror, is inside the plastic "stalk" that connects the actual pod to the body of the car, is a plastic brace, and that has sheared, causing the entire mirror to flop about on the mirror mount. I just haven't had time to fix it yet, I was going to epoxy the brace inside the mirror.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Snootch
mine shakes real bad as well, granted, I have a TA, and I don't know the difference in the construction between the two. The problem with my mirror, is inside the plastic "stalk" that connects the actual pod to the body of the car, is a plastic brace, and that has sheared, causing the entire mirror to flop about on the mirror mount. I just haven't had time to fix it yet, I was going to epoxy the brace inside the mirror.
The "stalk" is that the gray T-post looking thing? That is what broke, or the the mount that attaches it to the motor. You will never get it back in there unless you take the mirror all the way off and take the motor out.

Quick Reply: driver's side mirror shaking?