Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Washing The Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing The Engine

I have my LS1 on the floor but will get a engine stand next week and I want to clean up the motor. it looks like it is all just 18 years of road grime.

What is the best way to clean it up short of using a tooth brush and squirt bottle. is there a detergent that can be sprayed on and rinsed off with a garden hose? I do have the intake sealed off tight.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

I used a spray can of "Gunk" - available at any auto parts store. I did not pressure wash my engine and trans but this stuff . . . and yes, some wire brush effort, got it sufficiently clean for my purposes. Hot water from my garage sink faucet also helped.

Rick
Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

I use Greased Lightning. Spray everything, but make sure you have intake opening sealed off very well, as well as exhaust ports. Maybe keep exhaust manifolds on it while spraying. Engine needs to be complete, meaning oil filter still on it, all covers, spark plugs, etc. I don’t rinse first. Spray, let the stuff soak for a couple minutes, then rinse. It will remove 99.9% of everything.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I went from this

To this with gunk engine degreaser a wire brush/screw driver and paper towels and wipe down with brake clean on a rag.
It took about 3 hours including paint.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I will give this a try after I get it up on a stand and it warms up a bit.

I do have the intake sealed up and it still has the exhaust manifold on it and all plugs installed.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

What i do is Wipe down with transmission fluid and then spray oven cleaner, then I scrub with a brush to break everything up And then wipe down with some rags and parts cleaner she will be good to go!!
Old 01-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dont z20h8
What i do is Wipe down with transmission fluid and then spray oven cleaner, then I scrub with a brush to break everything up And then wipe down with some rags and parts cleaner she will be good to go!!
Thanks, I had not thought of using transmission fluid as a solvent but it should work. I will give it a try.