Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Window Motor or Door switch?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window Motor or Door switch?

So, have a 2002 Camaro and the driver side window has quit working. I have had other Camaro's in the past have the window motors go out due to the heavy windows (maybe even this car too...I can't remember)...but this time the symptoms are different. In the past, when the motors went out...I would get some movement and then it would stop. It would move an inch or so and then stop and I could help it the rest of the way by pushing on the window.

This time, it went completely dead. Won't move down at all (thankfully the window is up). I'm wondering if it would be the control switch in the door...because the behavior of the motor is different this time. But, everything else on the switch works. The locks work, passenger side window works and the mirror control works.

Could it be just the driver side switch...or is it likely the motor? How can I determine this?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would lean to the motor... Notorious for going out. If I was to test the switch, I would unplug the harness from the motor and run a volt meter to it. Cycle the switch (with the key on of course) and see if you have 12 volts. There is a how to on the forums to swap the motor out...... Very simple. You have to drill three holes, but other than that.... cake.

Good Luck

Search this Thread