Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint/Body Shop experts... question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint/Body Shop experts... question

I bought a Nissan Titan Crew Cab (Deep Water color) the other day. About an hour after I left the dealership I notice a scatch that started about a 1/2 inch on the driver's door and continued about 2.5 inches into the rear door. The scratch goes to the primer around the last 1.5 inches. The dealership said they would take care of it.

I do not know much about paint repair. What would you guys consider to be the "right" way to repair the scratch? I want to make sure they don't do a quick and dirty repair leaving me with something that looks good now but will look like crap in a couple of years.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-05-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimZ28
I bought a Nissan Titan Crew Cab (Deep Water color) the other day. About an hour after I left the dealership I notice a scatch that started about a 1/2 inch on the driver's door and continued about 2.5 inches into the rear door. The scratch goes to the primer around the last 1.5 inches. The dealership said they would take care of it.

I do not know much about paint repair. What would you guys consider to be the "right" way to repair the scratch? I want to make sure they don't do a quick and dirty repair leaving me with something that looks good now but will look like crap in a couple of years.

Thanks,
Tim
the correct way to do it would be to sand down the scratch completely, and featheredge it out, so it feels smooth and there are no rough edges. after its sanded, they have to prime it, to protect the bare metal. after the primer dries, they should sand that down, so the paint lays down well. they should have plenty of room to blend out the color nicely in the doors, so they should not have to paint the front fender or rear 1/4 panel. then clear it, and bake it, so the paint cures. give it a nice buff, to take out any dirt nibs, and deliver it to the customer. not by any means a hard repair, but there are some real hacker body shops, and dealers out there so ya never know. hope this helps
Old 09-05-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the response. That was exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted to be able to get a feel for what they 'should" be doing.

Tim
Old 09-05-2004, 01:09 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just make sure not to bring it to the shop that buffed my car

We still have power over here.

Later ********!
Old 09-05-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Yo F-face...

I'm over at Nikki's mom's house. Are there many trees down in Metrowest? I'll probably end up staying here tonite and going back over there tomorrow morning. The truck is in her garage... 2 inches to spare with the door down.

What did Ferrel say about getting your paint job taken care of?

Call me tonite.
Tim

Quick Reply: Paint/Body Shop experts... question