Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

orbital - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default orbital - how to?

I did the search and read all about which machine to buy. But unless I missed it somewhere, how do you use one properly without burning the paint or making matters worse in some other way?
My car is white and has been Zaino'd. For the most part is really great for a stock finish except for those scuffs that I put in or I got from the highway.
I picked up some 3M Microfinish and using a foam pad and some sweat I got off some areas that I couldn't bury with Z5. So I know that it will work well.
But now I am tired out and have 99% of the car to do!!!
Is there a 'How to...' on orbitals?
How long will the pad last?
What kind of pad? Does it matter with the compound that I am using?
What about speed?
Pressure?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

It's impossible to burn paint with an orbital. They don't generate the heat required.

Here's a good article on using the PC: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47
Old 09-22-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow ZaneO- you're famous. Good job on the truck.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FoRgOtTeNPaSsWoRd
Wow ZaneO- you're famous. Good job on the truck.
Thank you
Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a random orbital, you can't really do anything other than drop the machine itself on the paint to harm it. With a rotary however, that is a different story...those WILL burn through paint if you aren't careful. I'm not a big fan of rotary machines...I have one, but am scared to use it because it can do a lot of damage, especially on a black car. That and it slings crap EVERYWHERE.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Teching In

I have been hiding my shame about what I did to the finish last night in another thread. But here it is....I tried to hand buff the car and created more swirls than I was removing.
I was using a yellow manual pad with microfinish. All looked well until I hit the shop lights on it.
This morning I went around and finally found a PC 7336. That's all they had. I hope that this is the next generation in the PC family.
From that store I went directly to a local supplier (Brault) here in Houston and explained what I did. The long faces tells more than they were willing to share. They were shaking their heads in disbelief.
I was handed a bottle of 3M Perfect-it -05995.
Something that they said that I don't believe that I have read anywhere on here was to keep the surface wet. They mentioned about keeping a spray bottle and spritzing the area as I go.
I explained that I thought that I could do less damage without the machine than with it. He said, "..you were wrong.."!

It's a small area that I messed up but can it be saved. Am I doomed?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

I would imagine that you could fix it. Keep the pad moist. I have never kept the paint wet while using a PC. Which pads are you going to use?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Teching In

The guy mentioned that the pad that came with the unit should do the job well but I would like to find something better. Finding stuff around here has become quite the task. Short of online places, are there any basic stores that we have down here that would work?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/index.html

They even have an e-book on how to use the DA polisher.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

I buy my supplies from www.autogeek.net www.topoftheline.com www.autopia-carcare.com

To get most of the good stuff, you'll have to buy online. No reason to skimp out now
Old 09-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Tweety.. The 7336 is what you need, and if possible find an older car to practice on for a while, that way you can get a feel of what this machine does. I totally polished my 88 Blazer before I attempted anything on my Black SS and it really help with my confidence level.. Now Im all over the Black SS with my PC and enjoying the **** outta it You really do need different pads and the Velcro backing plate. Read the article that zano posted up above.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

www.properautocare.com has some excellent howto's as well. I have the PC7336, and it is the same as the 7424, just sold as a sander. It even comes with one pad, which I wasn't crazy about, but it worked. I bought the velcro back plate and everything from properautocare, and have been happy ever since.

-Mike
Old 09-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Well I guess that I wouldn't be doing anything this weekend anyway since we are supposed to get a tropical storm.
I like the idea of praticing on something else. The wife's Jeep needs a ton of work from 'natural pinstriping'.
One more thing.....
One of the links that you guys gave up stated about using other products 'with' Zaino. This is a Zaino'd car. With using the 3M glaze that I got, is this in place of Zaino or a step before Zaino?

Thanks again to all that have bailed me out of my paint panick.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt recommend using the 3m ihg w/zaino it wond bond properly. No need to practice on another vehicle those pc are practically fool proof. Unless you drop it on the vehicle. like Zane said above if you purchase from those vendors youll get the good stuff but you can also get products at any detail shops in houston, im sure theyll have stuff like automagic & ardex which are not the best in durability but they do the work. Also any paint & body store will have 3m fine cut rubbing compound and most professional Meguiars products.

Quick Reply: orbital - how to?