Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

spraying clearcoat question?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default spraying clearcoat question?????

im gonna get my car painted this weekend, the guy painting it is 100% sure that in order to have a badass paint job, he will spray the clear in a 3-day period. Basically shoot clear one day,let it dry, sand next day and shoot clear again.
I have also been told that could screw up the finish, and that clear is a wet on wet application.
whats true, whats not??????????
Old 10-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen that process always done with the primer coats.

I don't do body work, so I can't give you an exact answer, but I do see his point. My guess is with the 1st layer of clear on there he will be wetsanding the car to help level the paint better and remove any imperfections that may have happened. Then after that he will spray it again and possibly re-sand a few areas and finally buff.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you wet sand, it hardly takes anything off the layer, except minor imperfections, as Madice said. When he sprays the final layer of clear, that car will be so shiny, and the color will be so deep! You'll be happy with the results.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do it both ways. Most of the time they shoot one coat after the other in around 20 min intervals. You wet sand and buff after the last coat. The advantage to wet sanding each coat is to remove any trash that is in that coat. We shot my car three coats and sand and then 3 coats and sand. DF
Old 10-13-2004, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you can sand each coat of clear,clean it,re-clear it,and so on, the results are not worth the time and cost vs. clearing all at once then sanding and buffing.For better results,clear all at one time(3-5 coats depending on who's clear being used),let sit for 24-48 hours,sand with 600(wet)let sit again for 24-48 hours,sand again with 800-1000(wet),let sit again,and finally finish with 1,500-2000(wet)(Diamond-Cut by Meguiers on all grits for best and consistent results)then buff.This is a quick run down of the process involved,all in all your looking at 20-40 hours if done correctly and for optimum results
Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

damn!!! i guess ill just flip a coin and decide which process to go with, all i know is that i want the deepest gloss and perfect eveness of the finish.
by the way, im using all dupont Chroma Premier products.

Quick Reply: spraying clearcoat question?????