Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bug remover, rear T/A logo, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bug remover, rear T/A logo, help

Hey everyone, I was wondering what you all feel is the absolute best bug remover out there. I have a black t/a, and I don't have to tell you how damn annoying those bug smudges are and how difficult they are to get out. So please let me know what you have found to be most effective.

Second, on the rear between the taillights, where it says "trans am" and has the phoenix, the red paint or whatever it was has faded out, the color of "trans am" is almost completely gone and the bird is on its way too. I want to restore them with the same stock color that they came with. If you could let me know what the best way to do this is, I would be very grateful. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:16 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Best bug remover in my opinion is Splat bug remover. Spray it on. Let it soak for a minute. Hose it off. Works great!

As far as the fading emblems on the back, you're better off just purchasing a new center piece. I designed an emblem for mine and had it custom airbrushed by a buddy.

http://www.geocities.com/y2k_ta/tailpiece2.jpg
Old 11-14-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

you wont really need a good bug remover if you maintain your car properly. However a good bug remover i feel is water & soap. As far as your tail lamp filler piece once it fades it fades. You can always get another one or you can read the writeup i did on making it just glossy black. heres the link its post #16
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/230168-buffing-tail-lights.html
Old 11-14-2004, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

well, I might just get some paint that bonds well to plastic and just try to touch it up myself before I go and buy a new one. Also, how do you get the piece that runs between the t-tops and also the pieces right by the door (that little triangle that borders the windows) to look good. I haven't had much luck with wax on those areas. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

The Gunk b&t remover seems to work pretty well.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iwantanls1
well, I might just get some paint that bonds well to plastic and just try to touch it up myself before I go and buy a new one. Also, how do you get the piece that runs between the t-tops and also the pieces right by the door (that little triangle that borders the windows) to look good. I haven't had much luck with wax on those areas. Thanks.
cleaner polish should work. you can try meguiars or 3m but i perfer Klasse All In One Cleaner Polish or (AIO)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 4 different 4th gen trans ams we have owned, we ordered 93-97 formula style back centerpieces from Billy Graham's Camaro/Firebird salvage in Calera, Alabama. These tail light filler panels are solid black and smooth with no lettering or birds on them at all. They are a direct swap with the trans am pieces and take like 5 minutes to change for even the drunkest of monkeys.

Then we just added custom decals to the back. You can have them cut in the original red, reflective red or any color of vinyl. Chrome doesn't seem to last but a year or so though, whereas all the others will last 5-7 years. The decals aren't so custom anymore though, they are available at lots of places like autografics.com (http://www.autografics.com/pages/birds4.htm) and are now pretty inexpensive.

You can click the link in my signature to see the reflective white decal I have on my current car and the chrome one that used to be on the silver TA.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, we did try putting a decal over an original TA panel once, with limited success.

I imagine though, that if you used red, it would look and work fine on the factory piece if you were very careful putting it on.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

bug and tar remover works great. its in a yellow can

Quick Reply: bug remover, rear T/A logo, help