Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Inspection in 7 days: What's the best way to stick a front plate without drilling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhode Island Red
... there is no law that states specifically where to place the front licence plate on the front (at least in RI)
Don't be so sure . . .
Old 12-10-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badjuju342
I would think the insurance company could care less if your front plate is on or not. Set it on the dash if you're worried.
I called up the insurance inspection station and they said that they don't care if the front license plate was on or not. I guess I kinda got confused when I first heard the insurance rep. say inspection, because I immediately thought of state inspection. Anyway, this post is still helpful, because I do have a state inspection coming up in September of 2005. What I'll probably end up doing is buying SLP's front bracket for their SLP grill inserts and then using a magnet to keep it held up against the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BottleRocket
i used magnets on the back of the bumper on my old mustang. they were strong enough to hold the plate on from the other side
Great idea, man. A coworker of mine also mentioned that idea and, if it will work, then I'll prefer it over using a double-sided tape. Now, I'm thinking about buying SLP's front bracket that they make specifically for their grills and using magnets to keep it held up under the front bumper. Hopefully, that front bracket is metal.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Default Licence Plate info needed.

Same problem but in some states where a plate is needed, the mounting of the plate must be permanent. By definition, this means that cable ties can't be used. In my case, I've got the old school billet grill so I really can't temporarily mount the plate. For some reason, the law either states or implies actual harware (nuts and bolts, screws) needs to be used. I've never challenged this and I know it makes no sense so lets not beat it to death.

The problem is; No front plate can get me a ticket.

So the question is: How can I mount a plate for my 2000 and my 69? They both have basically the same grill.

Possible solution is: I've heard of a licence plate bracket the mounts low on the front. It flips up for show and down for driving.

Does anyone have any idea where to find this item?

Thanks.

Rick.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Default Update!!!

Let's bring this thread back from the dead so that I can give an update.

Previously, I said that I was going to buy SLP's front license plate bracket and hold it on the car using powerful magnets. I also said that my first state inspection is due in September 2005. Well, I just received SLP's front license plate bracket. Damn, that thing is heavy and gets a little heavier with the license plate on it. I realized that there was no way magnets or even a double sided tape is gonna hold that bracket under the car.

So, what did I do? I drove to the local Ace Hardware and bought Ace double-sided mounting tabs that came in a 60-tab pack for $2.29. I drove to an empty parking lot near the NJ inspection station, placed the front license plate onto my SLP bowtie grille-insert on my car (to the right of the bowtie when looking at the car) to see the plate's contact points with the grille, used 3 double-sided tabs for 3 contact points to stick onto the back of the license plate, and mounted the license plate onto the grille-insert. The front plate looked awkward as it was slightly angled with the grille and it obviously looked like it was just sticking onto the grille. (I didn't use mock license plate screws.)

All that awkwardness didn't matter as the car passed the state inspection with flying colors. After I got out of the inspection station, I went to another empty parking lot and detached my front license plate. A little bit of the sticky stuff from the tabs stayed onto the surface of the grille and chin, but I was able to rub them off with my fingers in 10 minutes. So, I get another two years to keep my front license plate off. But now, my SLP front license plate is useless. And I bought it for $21! I'm thinking that I'll probably just sell it half-price at an upcoming SLP day or something...
Old 09-11-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

cant you just throw it up on your dashboard next to the windshield and call it a day? If not I like the idea of the air dam protector...nice one ha
Old 09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

i vote zip tie
Old 09-12-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I just switched over to Geico, because I'm spending around $800 less for the same exact car insurance coverage that I had with the crooks at State Farm.
Since the thread was resurrected. I am very sure you did not get the exact same insurance between the two companies. Did you read the fine print?

You seem to be particular about your car. (Like I am.) If my car is damaged I want it fixed right with OEM parts, etc.

There is a very clear distinction for me between using replica or used parts and using new OEM parts to fix such damage. Remember the repair shop will only fix what the insurance company authorizes. They may not be able to do the quality job you want if the insurance company isn't willing to pay. It will not be the fault of the repair shop.

For the average car owner interested in transportation, these things might not matter, but the enthuaist is often disappointed when they find out how the cheap insurance operates.

All insurance is not the same. Let the buyer beware.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

3M automotive double sided tape
Old 09-13-2005, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

the insurance inspection is just to note any damage thats on the car when the coverage starts, notes options like what stereo is in it, alarms,airbags etc.etc.like you said pretty much so the ins co knows what they're insuring, they dont care if the plate is on there or not
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Launching!

try zip ties

Quick Reply: Inspection in 7 days: What's the best way to stick a front plate without drilling?