Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

FRC help

Old 02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRC help

I just got my frc's and I need help installing them. How am I supposed to fit them in there? I really understand why it didn't come with them. Do I have to move/remove anything...the tape on the fuel lines...etc. I'd prefer not to remove anything because I'm not sure how much I'll like them until I can get them put on. I haven't done much to my car yet, and under hood is stock except for lid and baffles. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, one person had a legitimate question. These were purchased from a member who bought them from afterthoughts. They are cut to fit a 2002 A4, which is what I've got, so I know they should work. Everyone seems to post that they had a hard time getting theirs on, but no one has posted tips on putting them on easier. Also, she didn't send me any instructions. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
Sorry, one person had a legitimate question. These were purchased from a member who bought them from afterthoughts. They are cut to fit a 2002 A4, which is what I've got, so I know they should work. Everyone seems to post that they had a hard time getting theirs on, but no one has posted tips on putting them on easier. Also, she didn't send me any instructions. Thanks.
I'll help you out on this one since I made your FRCs:

Go to:

http://www.thecheckeredflagstore.com/frcs_install.php

That has the complete install instructions that come with the FRCs originally.

Thanks
Bryan
parbreak
Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. That should make it much easier .
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parbreak
I'll help you out on this one since I made your FRCs:

Go to:

http://www.thecheckeredflagstore.com/frcs_install.php

That has the complete install instructions that come with the FRCs originally.

Thanks
Bryan
parbreak
Nice instructions... Wish I had them when I installed mine. It took me a loooooooong time to get mine on.
Scraped knuckles included!!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
Just saw this post and figured I would ask. Do you have to specify M6 or A4 when ordering the pre cut FRC's from afterthoughts?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
Just saw this post and figured I would ask. Do you have to specify M6 or A4 when ordering the pre cut FRC's from afterthoughts?
No, I cut a notch out of the back on the passenger side that will accomodate
either A4 or M6.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
Nice instructions... Wish I had them when I installed mine. It took me a loooooooong time to get mine on.
Scraped knuckles included!!

Thanks, I wrote the instructions but I would like to give Steve Goodwin a whole lot of thanks for supplying the photos for me. My digital photography skills are lacking to say the least and he really pulled through for me with doing the step by step photos to my written instructions.

Thanks
Bryan
parbreak
Old 02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

I thought I'd step in to describe the 'scraped knuckles' approach. I installed my FRC's a number of years ago (before the aftermarket ones were available). I decided that I didn't want to modify anything on the engine, at all. That meant that nothing on the engine would be disconnected, relocated or removed. The only alternative was to do major surgery on the FRC's. The linked pic's show the modified FRC's & the FRc's installed.

JohnS's FRC's

FRC's Installed

The moral of the story is that you can install FRC's without changing anything on the engine, but you need to be prepared the modify the FRC's and (oh, yes) shed a little blood.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

The only alternative was to do major surgery on the FRC's
Wow! that's a lot of cutting!

Thanks to all who helped. They are on and look pretty good, though I may work a bit more on the fitment. Parbreak - your instructions were invaluable.

Also, though he didn't post here, thanks to PontiacFan, who added the following:
1) Remove the throttle cable support bracket which is located on top of the intake manifold, in the back driver's side. It sticks up too far & prevents the frc from setting down & attaching properly. The throttle cable bracket is held on with a bolt which requires a 10mm socket or wrench.

I'd post up pics, but I don't have a digital camera. When I can get around to taking a pic and scanning it, I'll post it up.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is an excellent thread! Thank you to everyone who contributed. I'm gathering my resources before my install and this is just what I needed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRC help