Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with bad swirl scratch marks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with bad swirl scratch marks

I have a friend who needs some help with his car. The car is black, hopefully I can explain this well enough since I don't have any pictures I can post.
The paint looks perfect under the lights in the garage but when you get the car out in direct sunlight the driver side door looks terrible. It has like swirls marks or scratches, almost like someone took a brush to it or something. There's also some areas with like a haze which looks like it's from a buffer, they have a sort of 3d or halogram effect I don't know what you would call it. The swirl/scratches are also on the hood but not nearly as bad. After trying by hand we tried using some 3M fine cut cleaning compound, then Meguiars heavy cut cleaner with an orbital buffer and foam buffing pad but it didn't seem to help much. Does anyone have any suggestions on how or what else we can try to fix this ?

He just bought the car from the dealer not long ago and we're pretty sure atleast the hazing part is from them buffing the car before he picked it up. He really does not want to bring the car back there for the simple reason they screwed it up to begin with and does not trust thier work. He just wants it fixed.
If we can't do this ourselves does anyone know of a good body or detail shop in the Chicago area ?
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I have two possible solutions for you.

1. Buy a Porter Cable random orbital buffer with some good pads and polishes. Then spend a day buffing and polishing the swirls and defects away. Grand total ~$200 (but you can use it over and over).

2. Take your car to Gary at http://www.perfectautofinish.com/ - He is a very well respected detailer from www.autopia.org - I would feel perfectly comfortable leaving my car with him, and I'm extremely ****. Grand total ~$150.

If you need more info. and tips on the PC, I'd be glad to help.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm with ZaneO on the Porter Cable part. I prefer doing it myself, just because of the satisfaction you'll get, plus the knowledge that you can fix it again if you need to. That's just me, though.

-Mike