Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

carbon fiber sheets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber sheets?

im looking for a sheet of carbon fiber, as small as possible. anyone know where to find something like this?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check www.fiberglast.com
Old 05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

anyone have about 1ft by 1ft of carbon fiber they would be interested in selling?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do. Do you want just the raw fiber, or do you want a sheet already resined?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyChadZ28
I do. Do you want just the raw fiber, or do you want a sheet already resined?
hmmm, not sure whats what. i want it to look just like the carbon fiber grill sold by rksport (picture).

my plan is to have the carbon fiber cut into 1LE emblems to replace my z28 emblems on the fender. i went to a local sign fabrication store and they told me to bring them the material i want to use and they'll see if they can do it with their machines. rksport sells carbon fiber z28 emblems so i know its possible, but i want 1LE emblems. any ideas?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Email this guy topshopheadliners@yahoo.com his name is Tony. They do carbon fiber stuff on mostly imports but they recently came out with a sheet of carbon fiber that you could bend and heat to pretty much make anything you want out of it. They had a site topshopheadliners.com but it isn't working.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Email this guy topshopheadliners@yahoo.com his name is Tony. They do carbon fiber stuff on mostly imports but they recently came out with a sheet of carbon fiber that you could bend and heat to pretty much make anything you want out of it. They had a site topshopheadliners.com but it isn't working.
thanks for the reply, i emailed him right now. hopefully well be able to work something out
Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM

When you are ready for the real stuff, let me know.

SaudeKeep- the difference is a raw material vs. a finished product. Carbon fiber in its raw material is exactly that- a fiber... Woven material with carbon molecules for reinforcing. It is like any fabric- look at the shirt you have on for example. It is made of a woven fiber (probably cotton or something similar- maybe even a mix of different materials- like nylon etc.) The difference in carbon fiber is that it is a much much stronger material. However, the fiber must be held in place and rigid or it is very fragile. This is where resin comes into play. The resin keeps the fiber in place, and proper layup keeps the fabric weave straight during the process when the resin is setting. Once the resin cures, the finished product is very strong and lightweight and many people like the looks of it when a clear resin is used. This stuff mentioned above is not real carbon fiber. It is purely cosmetic lookalike stuff I can almost guaruntee. Once resin is set onto a carbon fiber platform, it aint moving or flexing unless it breaks! Real carbon fiber will actually have a "3D" look to it after it is set in resin due to the weave of the fabric. Do a little research. I'm sure you'll learn a lot. There is a lot of sites out there to learn from. Just doing a really quick one, I got this:

http://www.macqc.com/racplates/technology.htm

But in short, sounds to me like you want a piece already resined...

Last edited by ChevyChadZ28; 05-03-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chad does good work. I bought a set of "Trans Am" letters that he made for the doors. Look great.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Chad does good work. I bought a set of "Trans Am" letters that he made for the doors. Look great.
Thanks So how are those holding up for you?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When you are ready for the real stuff, let me know.

SaudeKeep- the difference is a raw material vs. a finished product. Carbon fiber in its raw material is exactly that- a fiber... Woven material with carbon molecules for reinforcing. It is like any fabric- look at the shirt you have on for example. It is made of a woven fiber (probably cotton or something similar- maybe even a mix of different materials- like nylon etc.) The difference in carbon fiber is that it is a much much stronger material. However, the fiber must be held in place and rigid or it is very fragile. This is where resin comes into play. The resin keeps the fiber in place, and proper layup keeps the fabric weave straight during the process when the resin is setting. Once the resin cures, the finished product is very strong and lightweight and many people like the looks of it when a clear resin is used. This stuff mentioned above is not real carbon fiber. It is purely cosmetic lookalike stuff I can almost guaruntee. Once resin is set onto a carbon fiber platform, it aint moving or flexing unless it breaks! Real carbon fiber will actually have a "3D" look to it after it is set in resin due to the weave of the fabric. Do a little research. I'm sure you'll learn a lot. There is a lot of sites out there to learn from. Just doing a really quick one, I got this:

http://www.macqc.com/racplates/technology.htm

But in short, sounds to me like you want a piece already resined...
I've personally purchased some C/F from Tony in the past and it was resined so it looks pretty real to me. As far as the stuff you can bend he told me it was real carbon fiber not that cheap vinyl type stuff.
Attached Thumbnails carbon fiber sheets?-campics8.jpeg   carbon fiber sheets?-campics10.jpeg   carbon fiber sheets?-campics49.jpeg  

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 05-04-2005 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks So how are those holding up for you?

Doing great
Old 05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CF Trans Am door emblems! Where! I want some!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

i found a few websites on the internet that will CNC machine anything you want with carbon fiber.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

download their CAD program and create the design you want. its not too complicated if all you want is letters, but they can do anything you can create in CAD. this takes me to my question:

anyone have any idea what font the factory Z28 emblem is?
Best picture I could find after a 30 second search, next best . if you have an eye for recognizing fonts and these pics arent cutting it i can take a picture of the one on my car. it seems like whatever the font is, its italicized unless thats a natural property of the font.

i want my custom emblem to look as close to the factory z28 emblem as possible.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:32 PM

I've personally purchased some C/F from Tony in the past and it was resined so it looks pretty real to me. As far as the stuff you can bend he told me it was real carbon fiber not that cheap vinyl type stuff.
I just don't see how thats possible... But if its real CF I'd like to know what is over it protecting the pattern... I've done a little CF myself ...
http://members.***.net/kathyhnok/Inst2.jpg

Originally Posted by a98ws6
CF Trans Am door emblems! Where! I want some!
PM me
Old 05-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I just don't see how thats possible... But if its real CF I'd like to know what is over it protecting the pattern... I've done a little CF myself ...
http://members.***.net/kathyhnok/Inst2.jpg

PM me
Depending on the process used it is either clear coated (cheaper method that also hides minor defects) or it is the resin itself that will protect the fabric. With the proper resin the carbon fiber will be protected not only from normal abuse but also UV. Also any minor scratches or rub marks can be rubbed out. Email or PM meif you have any questions
Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 99-FLvette
Depending on the process used it is either clear coated (cheaper method that also hides minor defects) or it is the resin itself that will protect the fabric. With the proper resin the carbon fiber will be protected not only from normal abuse but also UV. Also any minor scratches or rub marks can be rubbed out. Email or PM meif you have any questions
I donn't know of any resin that is flexable tho? Also- you can't just clearcoat CF with automotive clearcoat and have a smooth surface. (I've tried that). I just don't see how its flexable when its all said & done without breaking or cracking?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

I donn't know of any resin that is flexable tho? Also- you can't just clearcoat CF with automotive clearcoat and have a smooth surface. (I've tried that). I just don't see how its flexable when its all said & done without breaking or cracking?
You do get some limited flexibility similiar to fiberglass. Usually the piece/resin will break before the resin gets cracks. I am unsure of the clearcoat. Initially the piece will look pretty good after clearcoating but on close examination there is generally some pretty glaring defects. The amount of clearcoat required (4 or more layers are typical) to hide defects is also a hinderance in that it will eventually yellow and is much more susceptible to cracking and chipping.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber sheets?