Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

clear tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:53 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
Don't take it personal, but it's kind of ricy (ricey? riceish? you know what I mean!)

LS1 owners generally feel that you only go so far with exterior mods - most mods go where you can FEEL them! As far as stickers go, LS1TECH.com stickers are about it aside from the legally required ones! Wings?? Don't even bring it up!! Ground effects? Only if it was factory installed. Wheels? Sure, but nothing over 18 - you stick 22's on there (don't laugh - it's been done) and we don't know you!!

I've seen halos on the front of a couple cars, and they don't look bad. But they don't make you any faster - personally I'd rather put that cash aside and save up for a 383 stroker! (Every dollar saved is a dollar closer!!)

I'm not partial to the clear corners. They don't look bad either - I'm just not partial to them.

If it were my money to spend (so far she keeps telling me it isn't) I'd do a lid, Corsa catback, suspension (the whole works, one part at a time) a 12 bolt, then the 383, in that order. With the 383 I'd gut the car to bare metal and have it painted and put it all back together again.

But that's just me.

I agree 99%... I have 19" CCW 505A's and I think they look killer (so does most everyone else I've talked to). As for the clear taillights- not for me. I don't like the look of them...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the Camaro/Firebird show at the Chevrolet dealership last year there was a black SS with 20" chrome blingin rims, clear taillights like that, and between the two taillights on the hatch was vinyl that said "Import Killer." Seriously, what an ironic contradiction, I think this guy had some sorta problem with his taste in cars so he was trying to overcompensate. Don't even know, pretty sure it was just a stock LS1. In my opinion, they are gross and do not belong on our cars. I don't even like the "export" taillights, but they are way better than the clear alteza ones, and maintain a stockish look while setting your car apart.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If they stayed the same as the stockers, but in clear (and if you didn't see red bulbs like the civic)... I think it would actually look decent on some colors (white, silver, pewter). But I'd probably prefer black or the stockers.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i never understood the point of clear chrome tailights. they are supposed to make the rear look cleaner, but how is that true? by blinging out something like the taillights? i think making them LESS noticeable would work better to clean up the rear of the car, not drawing attention to them with tons of round bulbs everywhere. they just dont match anything else (design wise) on the car, and look very out of place. i think halos look nice b/c they arent so different looking from the stock lights, same thing with clear/smoked corners. they try to blend in with the rest of the car, not stand out and grab your attention.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

well i have a silver car. so i see the head lights clear look nice. then you have the clear corners also a nice mod and cleans it up. so i try and look at the tail lights and i think the same thing.if they were clear on a silver car it might look nice now granted i am only imaging this in my head an could look totaly different from that in real life. another thing around here i have noticed is people being afraid of looking rice. i whole hartedly agree with not being rice. but i believe too many people automaticlay label somthing rice if they dont like it. for instance i posted somthing on here once about lambo doors and i believe i got more than one comment about how they are rice. now answer me this how on gods green earth are they rice when italians made them? thats just and example. its possible to put somthing on your car and it not be rice ground effects, rims, etc. so these are just my thoughts.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is really confussing. If something as simple as taillights, suddenly turns a camaro into a honda, then what about any and every other thing that's done, that the ricers do too? such as: big wheels, lowering the car, clear corners, halo headlights, tinting windows,tv screens, ps2, and espeically the big subs and booming stereo systems, etc. etc. It seems like that almost anything that's done to a car can be considered rice. Should everyone just leave them totally stock? Maybe there should be a rice guide posted up somewhere, so that we can all know what we should or should'nt do to our cars that will be the most pleasing to the masses. Don't get me wrong I can't stand the little fart can Fast and furious kids running around and the lowered pickup trucks bouncing around everywhere with there airride and there damn stereos rattling my car with there bass, it just seems there is such a FINE LINE between what is ok to do to an Fbody and what is rice.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally my cousin has them on his Black 95 and it looks pretty good. Now he has done some other things and the car is far from stock but it is definately a personal taste.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

I've got a pair but I'm not sure how I feel about them. Well... sorta, the background is black, but the lens is clear.

I've got the stock ones sitting in my closet, waiting until I change my mind and put them back on (which will probably be happening within the next couple weeks). They look really cool at night, that's the only reason why they're still there. I'm thinking about painting the chrome rings around the bulbs black.

Last edited by jbuerke142; 05-05-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think the reason things like chrome tailights, neons, ridiculous body kits are called rice is because none of them were around before the whole import craze started up. larger wheels, better suspension (ie, lowering), lighter hoods, tinting windows (to keep the sun out, not for looks) has been around for ages. so these things arent considered rice by most people. plus they have a performance oriented agenda, not just to be used to holla at some bitches. i guess clear corners could fall into the rice category along with halos, but its all up to your personal taste. some things just seem tastefully done, while others do not. as we all know, ricers are anything but tasteful
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
I've got a pair but I'm not sure how I feel about them. Well... sorta, the background is black, but the lens is clear.

I've got the stock ones sitting in my closet, waiting until I change my mind and put them back on (which will probably be happening within the next couple weeks). They look really cool at night, that's the only reason why they're still there. I'm thinking about painting the chrome rings around the bulbs black.
Now those, I like a lot. They don't stand out too much and look way better than the stock taillights. I don't like the chrome / clear backgrounds for these lights, but the black backing looks pretty sleek.

And it seems that whenever someone wants to spend money on appearance rather than performance, it is inevitably labeled "rice" at some point. Some people just confuse gaudy with rice. But whatever.

I'd say just stay away from the chrome lights, but the black ones I'd say go for.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jbuerke142

If you replaced that panel on the rear with the black one that goes between the tailights I've seen on some Camaro's it might actually look pretty cool with those tailights.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well you guys have got me looking for some stock tailights now, to replace my clear ones, giving me a complex. I really had NO IDEA that they were considered "rice" when I bought the car with them in there, I just thought they were different and had'nt seen many camaro's with them and I wanted mine to be different from everyone else's. I'm still not sure why there considered rice and other things are'nt that are popular to do appearance wise, but obviously they are. I actually don't like alot of things that it seems most do, when it comes to appearance stuff, like putting SS stuff on a Z28, I think that's tacky, not ricey by no means, just tacky. Alot of the popular wheels that people want look ricey to me, like the HP Evo's, I like the lip, but think the center looks VERY ricey. I guess the point is oppinions are going to vary, but I am going to ditch the tailights for some stockers as soon as I can find them. Thanks for making me spend my money on something I did'nt think I needed
Old 05-07-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cthomas
Well you guys have got me looking for some stock tailights now, to replace my clear ones, giving me a complex. I really had NO IDEA that they were considered "rice" when I bought the car with them in there, I just thought they were different and had'nt seen many camaro's with them and I wanted mine to be different from everyone else's. I'm still not sure why there considered rice and other things are'nt that are popular to do appearance wise, but obviously they are. I actually don't like alot of things that it seems most do, when it comes to appearance stuff, like putting SS stuff on a Z28, I think that's tacky, not ricey by no means, just tacky. Alot of the popular wheels that people want look ricey to me, like the HP Evo's, I like the lip, but think the center looks VERY ricey. I guess the point is oppinions are going to vary, but I am going to ditch the tailights for some stockers as soon as I can find them. Thanks for making me spend my money on something I did'nt think I needed
Hey, if you like the lights, screw what everyone else thinks about them. Don't go and buy stock lights to please others....
Old 05-07-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Hey, if you like the lights, screw what everyone else thinks about them. Don't go and buy stock lights to please others....
What he said... it's your car. If you like em leave em, and to hell with everybody else.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know where you can get some sweet underbodys and an alumium wing to go w/ those super lights!!111 one!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

coooool did they come off of your Supra or your RX7
Old 05-07-2005, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Old 05-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Teching In

I like red & chrome..........

Last edited by saturnus; 05-08-2005 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey where did you get your '69 Z emblems? I've been wanting to do that too, but the one's i've found are original replacment and I figured they had the posts sticking out the back. I was wanting to find some that stick on like the one's that are on there now.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Edited: BlackTA98 LS1, you were just asking for trouble and you got burned back. So if you have nothing helpful to say, don't.

Last edited by MadIceV8; 05-08-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: clear tail lights?