Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Which LED's for Side Markers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005 | 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Default Which LED's for Side Markers?

started a pretty simple project, but need some advice on the appropriate bulbs to use. I have a 98 Trans Am, with amber side markers up front and red in the back.

I took the front markers off and hit them with a few coats of nite shades, then laid down a WS.6 decal, then hit it with body match black, then with clear. Threw them back on, but as expected, the stock bulb did not light it up enough for the WS.6 to show through. I tried a white led from Autozone, but it wasn't as bright, and shown through white instead of amber. I really like the blacked out look in the daylight, and would like to find a bulb that will light it up enough at night and show through with the appropriate color. What LED 194 wedge bulb would you recommend?

I plan on doing the same with the rears with "Ram Air" decals and those are red.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2005 | 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jam Straight 4 LED units are nice.
Old 05-05-2005 | 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Jam Straight 4 LED units are nice.
Those are the ones that I tried. They showed through less than the regular bulbs did. I've heard that LED's won't ever be as bright as incadescent. Is this true? What about the ones from superbrightleds.com that have like 6 or 8 LED's per bulb?

Do I need red to show through a red lens or will white LED's show up red through a red lens?
Old 05-05-2005 | 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kapedogg
Those are the ones that I tried. They showed through less than the regular bulbs did. I've heard that LED's won't ever be as bright as incadescent. Is this true? What about the ones from superbrightleds.com that have like 6 or 8 LED's per bulb?

Do I need red to show through a red lens or will white LED's show up red through a red lens?
My Jam Straight 4 buld LED's are blinding . . . my amber and red side marker lights are 2 to 3 times brighter than with the OEM bulbs. I am reunning the amber and red LEDs.

Sounds to me you coated the lens too dark with the nightshades . .

Oh and LED's are, and always will be, brighter than an incandescent bulb.
Old 05-06-2005 | 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I'll have to try the red and amber bulbs and see what happens. I'll let ya know.

Quick Reply: Which LED's for Side Markers?