Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question about modding 94 Z-28 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question about modding 94 Z-28 headlights

Hello....I saw this mod somewhere and didn't save to a file....

Now i want to do this mod ....it was the modding of sealed beams to accept the brighter and colored 9005 and 9006 ....still useing the factory sealed beams

Would be intrested in pic's and install spec.....also heard the wiring is different .....need spec's on the wiring also

thanks

pm me or post me the info

others might be intrested also

thanks again
Michael "Thumper"
Old 05-17-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the bulbs for the newer style LS1's for my 94. I was replacing light bulbs every 3 months on my Camaro prior to this. I havent changed out a bulb since then (over 2 years IIRC). I have personally seen three different styles bulbs for our Camaros (where the actual bulb mounts to the glass housing. But all 3 can simply be pryed off with a flat tip screw driver. Safety glasses, patience and gently prying evenly across every 90 degrees will get that old bulb off.

I used hot glue the first time to seal/stick the bulb, but that melted a bit over time, so my favorite thing in the world JB weld was used next.

HTH
David
Old 05-17-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 9005 Sylvania SilverStars, they normally last a damn long time. I've been in my new house since the beginning of October, and my passenger bulb just went out... so it lasted a good 7 months. If you have the money to spend, the better mod to do would be to buy the conversion kit where you can convert your stock wiring to allow for twist-in bulbs. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of that, but for the simple 9005 replacement, you just pry, twist, and yank the stock bulb out, use a razor or exacto hobby knife to cut the old silicone sealant out, and then use either JB Weld or regular Silicone Sealant around where the bulb sticks back in. Just be 100% careful to not let whatever adhesive you're using get on the bulb. Also, never touch the bulb with your hands. ALWAYS use towels or something else because the oil on our skin makes the bulb burn out fast.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here is how someone did it on LS1 Firebird sealed-beam headlights:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...6994#post36994
They are not the same headlights, but it should give you an idea.

Or you can buy conversion units from Eurolights or AutoOptics or eBay.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's an awesome tutorial.