Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tech school paint shop??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech school paint shop??

Ok I'm poor, I'm cheap, but I'm a perfectionist.

I have friends in tech school so I know they will actually try to do a good job

You give it to them and pay for the materials and they do the painting for a credit, no labor.

What do you think the possibility of these high school kids doing a good job painting my car, I mean they have some training in it, but I don't know what kind of materials they have.

Yea yea, I know I'm cheap as hell
Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt do it
Old 09-07-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ask them for examples of their work. You never know.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a solid color, it shouldn't be too bad. I don't think you're looking for a crazy pearl job or flames or anything. Will they also color sand after a few weeks ?

As Black Z/28 said, try and check out an example of their work. Kind of scarry if your their first example but then again, thet're buddies, so its not like they're out to screw you over, not to mention they want credit for the job, Im not sure if they're graded on the output as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

being cheap and a perfectionist are two opposite things when it comes to paint. It is possible for them to come out with a decent product, but dont expect the best. I remember taking classes at a tech school for paint and painted my first car a 70 Nova. Came out pretty decent but I have learned so much more since then that I could come out with a much better end result. Ultimately it depends on how much knowledge their instructors have and if they are really their to teach or get paid. My instructor was very informed in the paint field but it felt like he was just picking up a paycheck instead of trying to teach. Example being on the day to spray the car we had medium reducer to mix with our base and clear. The temp in the booth was 98 degrees....medium reducer was completely wrong for the situation we were spraying in. Nothing faster than slow reducer should have been used, but at the time I didnt know that and the instructor could have cared less apparently since he said it was fine. Result is a finish with much more orange peel than it should have had.
Basically find out if their instructors are there to help and know their stuff. Your car could come out much better just based on who is teaching them.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I had my wifes cavalier painted at a tech school. They didnt do to bad. I had to replace the front passenger 1/4 panel and the 2 doors on the passengers side with blue ones (wifes car is white) They didnt sand it down or anything like that. I wasnt really expecting them to but they took out a bunch of little dents and did a fair job on the paint, jams and all. only paid $100. Oh yea they had to straighten the frame to the wife met a guard rail. I think it was worth it.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

It's possible to get a good job done, but I wouldn't expect a show quality paint job, if it's not a color change or anything too drastic, they'll probably do a decent job
As has been said before ask to see some prior work they've done
Old 09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Launching!

i say... **** it and do it!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Go in and see what kind of students will be doing the work. I had 2 years of high school auto body and the paint jobs i did looked great, but if your car gets asigned to a group of kids that are just in there to **** off then its not going to look good. They will use whatever materials you will pay for. Just go in and talk to the instructor and look around at what type of kids will be doing the work.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

I see no problem in it, here in Lincoln Tech in Indy, my instructor this year is Bill "The Kid" Christine....They hired him for paint instructions, custom paint technique's, includin pinstriping taught to be done by hand!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

a friend of mine had his truck painted by a tech school. it looked pretty good to me. i was going to do the same with my honda but i had to be put on a waiting list so i decided not to. but the kids were i live do a good job ive seen there work.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

I just wonder because a good paint job would cost $700 for a hood, and the tech school will do it for just the pricew of parts

Quick Reply: Tech school paint shop??