Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Has anyone had their dash sag?

Old 09-13-2005, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Has anyone had their dash sag?

When I bought my car, the dash on the left side had sagged and there was an unsightly gap between the dash and the pillar. The car was totally stock and is straight. I'm under the car a lot, no hint of any past accidents, the car is straight, all panels are original and straight.

I'm kinda a perfectionist so I finally took the glovebox and pillar off and checked the brackets, everything was tight, so I pushed up on the dash with considerable force until I had it mostly lined back up properly. I didn't quite have enough strength to get it up completely, I will try again after a weight training program.

Has anyone else experienced this? any ideas (besides a bent car) on what might have caused it? Am I going about fixing this the wrong way? Should I remove the dash completely to fix the brackets?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

thanks!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ttt anyone?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're that worried about the gap between the dash and the A-pillars save yourself ALOT of trouble and just take the A-pillars off and do a little fiberglassing on the ends of them where they meet the dash so that the gap is filled in.
Moving the dash upwards would be an excercise in completely re-engineering your interior, because even if you could overcome the obstacles of redrilling the upper dash mount holes and have them all line up, in addition to cutting the two lower crossbeam mounts and rewelding them 1/2 inch or so higher, you're still left with three problems: your steering column angle would be slightly off, the front part of the door panels that sit flush with the ends of the dash wouldn't line up, and you'd have an even bigger gap between the bottom of your dash and your center console.

Just fiberglass it.

Search this Thread