Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

License Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default License Plate Question

Alright, I know this topic has been beaten to death, about "how can you get out of having a front license plate, my state requires it"

I've seen a couple of cars lately have have cut down their license plate, just the front one. One guy had it cut down so much that only the letters and numbers from the license were showing, sort of like an euro plate.

is this legal? Can you hack up your license plate? Maybe it would be legal as long as you still put the county sticker on it in the corner (required for ohio at least)

just curious, this would make it smaller

I think I saw someone here on a board who used the front license plate cover (on a TA) and cut a small opening in it, just enough so that small part of the plate could be visible....anybody see anything like that?

I'm still tinkering with a way to make the front license plate swing down (and retract underneath) the nose of the car. I have an idea how to do it. A lot of street rod's use them, but to buy a kit, its like $200 and takes up a bunch of room

just seeing what everyone else thought
Old 09-23-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AFAIK, you can not cut up license plates. Mainly because they do not belong to you, they belong to your state (there have even been lawsuits over the ownership of personalized plates). What you can get away with seems to be more luck than anything else.

I just recently moved to Texas where they require front plates and was considering registering my next car in Louisiana to avoid it. However, when I bought my TA, it didn't come with a front plate. I am going to see how long I can get away with it. If I get a ticket, I'm switching to LA.

Before you go tampering with state property (your license plate), you should look into the laws / penalties regarding it. You should call you local Police Department or Motor Vehicle Department.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could mount it to the air dam under the car like this,

but I think it draws more attention displaying the plate illegally than just not running one.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by komik
AFAIK, you can not cut up license plates. Mainly because they do not belong to you, they belong to your state (there have even been lawsuits over the ownership of personalized plates). What you can get away with seems to be more luck than anything else.

I just recently moved to Texas where they require front plates and was considering registering my next car in Louisiana to avoid it. However, when I bought my TA, it didn't come with a front plate. I am going to see how long I can get away with it. If I get a ticket, I'm switching to LA.

Before you go tampering with state property (your license plate), you should look into the laws / penalties regarding it. You should call you local Police Department or Motor Vehicle Department.

thanks for the info. i wasn't going to hack up the plate unless it was alright, so I guess I'll leave it alone. How are you still able to register your car in LA but still live in texas?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Arachnotron
You could mount it to the air dam under the car like this,

but I think it draws more attention displaying the plate illegally than just not running one.

yeah i think your right. I want to eventually lower my car, so the air damn wont work.

Quick Reply: License Plate Question