Sponsored by: DashLynx

Road Burn Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Road Burn Removal

Hey everyone,

I have some minor roadburn from our lovely sand coated roads here in NW Connecticut. Its really only behind the front wheels where it is noticeable and only on the inside part of the fender.

I have minimalized it somewhat with wax, but is there a trick of the trade to make it look best as possible?

If I bring it to a paint shop, do they have to repaint the whole thing to cover it up, or can they just paint that small area? Its nothing huge, just being nit-picky I guess. I'm not sure what a local guy would charge.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt, I have the same problem with my car. Fender opening edges are all faded out and dulled.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Noone with any expertise on this?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue !!! i'm just going to get the bottom half of the fender / quarter panel refinished..
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's just fogged the clear, then you could polish it out like normal, but I suspect you know that. If it's to the point of being in the base paint (common), there isn't really much you can do.

Like you said, frequent waxing will help minimize how noticeable it is, but the paints gone... so there isn't really a way to fix it without painting.

If you're car is a daily driver, you might find a shop willing to spray only the bottom half of the fender. The cheapest way would be to put the blend right under the body side moulding. I wouldn't do this on a top class ride but on a daily driver a good shop could make it really hard to see except for crouching down right on it. This could probably be done for less than $300 or so out the door.

The right way to fix it includes new emblems, body side moldings, and a complete strip/refinish of the fenders. For that you're probably looking at $600-800.

If it's a daily driver just deal with it until some moron hits your car or jacks it up on the fender mounts.

Quick Reply: Road Burn Removal