Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

repainting in cayenne red metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005 | 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Default repainting in cayenne red metallic

ive been contemplating gettin my T/A repainted in cayenne red metallic. i won't need the door jams or underhood repainted cause its close to the color now. what should the paint itself run and what should the paint job cost? also, do yall think its worth it? the paint is decent right now. if i do this, it won't be for probably another year but im weighing my options and my bank account
Old 09-27-2005 | 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally wouldnt do it. I like the red thats on it right now. Maybe just buy a random orbital buffer and make it come to life again. Or spend that money on a nice wheel/tire combo.....unless you were gonna do the whole thing right (door jams, underhood, etc.) I just dont think you would be happy knowing its a diff color. Or atleast it would bother me it was my car. Anyways nice car.
Old 09-27-2005 | 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a very bad idea to do a halfsie job like you suggest. You'll take a MAJOR hit should you go to sell the car, and you'll eventually get sick of people pointing it out to you as if you didn't know. It's not even just the paint. People would look at the car and think "If the owner was ok with that... then what else did they neglect...".

But let's say you really want to do it and will keep the car until it's dust. Most reputable shops wouldn't do what you suggest. And herein lies the problem. Find a shop that will do it, and they will probably half *** it. You can't just paint over paint and expect it to look right and stick well.

For a full strip job done right you are probably staring at $3k, pretty easily. A good rule of thumb is to figure at least $300-500 per panel for a proper strip/paint. It's not worth it, but if you really insist on doing it... I would just save up and do it when your car gets hit. That'll put you part of the way there.

Can't say it enough... it's not worth it. Buy the color you want.
Old 09-27-2005 | 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thats not even close to the same color! I have a 99 sunfire that i bumper the bumper and hood, 1 quart of dupont chromabase cost me $103, i couldn't imagine a gallon.
But yeah color way off

Quick Reply: repainting in cayenne red metallic