Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swirl Marks

My car has bad swirl marks in the paint (The Reason I got It a Little Cheaper). I took It to a detail shop and they made it look a little better but It's come back. Any way to remove swirl marks ? Wet sand clearcoat? Respray? Special compound? I don't know Jack about paint. Any Ideas ?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An abrasive compound (I used Menzerna Intensive polish) and a Porter Cable random orbital buffer, plus a few hours, and your finish will be swirl free (or at least close)
BTW the detailer probably filled the marks in with some type of filler polish/wax, and when you washed it the fillers came out and the marks returned
If you really want to know how to detail the car yourself, go here
www.autopia.org
Old 10-02-2005, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Smile

I'm kind off scared I'll **** it up worse. But I have an Orbital Buffer that I never used so I guess I'll give it a try. I'll just take it slow and read that link. Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

best way is to get a PC (porter cable) for about 90 bucks and some swirl mark remover, the shop probably just used a wax containing fillers, they will just hide swirls temporarily... detail shops dont really know much about detailing....i had the same prob when a paint/detail shop painted my hood and then detailed it and it looked horrible... so yeah you can apply the swirl mark remover by hand too but it takes a long time... you should look into a polish for the PC, but if you dont want to get a PC just find some 3M swirl mark remover or similar at your local auto parts store
Old 10-02-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a random orbit buffer, the only way you'll **** up the paint is if you drop it on the car
Read the info at that forum, they'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about detaling your car
Good luck, and post some pics when you've got the swirls gone
Old 10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Smile

Thank's Guy's

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks