Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Shift Light Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Light Mounting

I was looking at mounting a shift lite in the corner of the Apillar, in the hole for the window defrost. Anyone done this/have pictures?What shift lite did you use?I have seen it done, but dont know what lite/ or what it takes to do. These are adjustable for RPM wanted correct? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:56 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

The Harlan light is what everyone uses for that location. I am pretty sure that the raptor will fit as well?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lithium
The Harlan light is what everyone uses for that location. I am pretty sure that the raptor will fit as well?

Where do I get a Harlen?I have seen the Raptor at Speed Inc. These are all programable for the shift point desired correct?Can anyone else tech in on the topic?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Also, Im pretty positive that thse are more accurate than the stock RPM gauge. these will light when desired or are they run from the tack, making them just as worthless as the tac itself?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

they run off the tach wire... i know that on the harlan there is 3 wires power ground and tach signal.. it is more accurate. mostly the only reason why the tach is "inaccurate" is because it has to turn electrical signal to mechanical "motion"

I have mine mounted in the a-pillar... it was real easyjust make sure you dont cut too much of it out.... just cut the little vent directors or whatever those are and it should fit perfect... oh yeah i have the harlan shift light
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the raptor mounted in the pillar as well. Works like a charm.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Both are pretty accurate it sounsd like, harlan and Rapter. How is it to install?You saying to make sure I dont cut out too much for the shift light correct?How did you mount it inside there?U put the cover back on?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foshizl
they run off the tach wire... i know that on the harlan there is 3 wires power ground and tach signal.. it is more accurate. mostly the only reason why the tach is "inaccurate" is because it has to turn electrical signal to mechanical "motion"

I have mine mounted in the a-pillar... it was real easyjust make sure you dont cut too much of it out.... just cut the little vent directors or whatever those are and it should fit perfect... oh yeah i have the harlan shift light

Where do you get the Harlan?Anyone know what is best?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=got+bored

raptor shift light.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i beleive you currently cant get any bran new Harlan shiftlights...i checked his site awile back and it says hes currently not makin them...your best bet would be to try and find 1 used from someone on the thread. its gonna be hard though, i know if you have one i doubt you'll want to get rid of it cause its a very nice piece and works like a charm. BTW..i have mine mounted on the steering column dead center facing
me.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TNTramair
i beleive you currently cant get any bran new Harlan shiftlights...i checked his site awile back and it says hes currently not makin them...your best bet would be to try and find 1 used from someone on the thread. its gonna be hard though, i know if you have one i doubt you'll want to get rid of it cause its a very nice piece and works like a charm. BTW..i have mine mounted on the steering column dead center facing
me.
How was the intall on that?how did u mount it?Im still thinking a pillar, but Im open.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its on there with some double sided tape at this time...im in the process of fabricating
a nice little bracket for it which is gonna go with the curve of the column.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

When i said be careful not to cut too much... i was meaning the vent hole... (you dont modify the light at all) how i installed mine is pull out the a pillar vent... cut out the vent director things and stick the shift light in it... (it stays in tightly) then i put it back in
Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foshizl
When i said be careful not to cut too much... i was meaning the vent hole... (you dont modify the light at all) how i installed mine is pull out the a pillar vent... cut out the vent director things and stick the shift light in it... (it stays in tightly) then i put it back in

Yea, thats what I figured for modifications. You have no braket, just pushed into the hold itself?How is wiring?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Its been a while but if i remember right i puched it into the hole and it fit tight enough thats how its held in.. i suppose a person could put a dab of hot glue or something on the back side (behind the vent) to keep it there and still be removable... the wiring is simple... 12volts, ground and then the tach wire. ill give you a tip... buy like bullet connectors or something alike so you can disconnect it at the a pillar and what not.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i have the harlan shift light and love it i think i was one of the last people to get one. .cuz he closed the store a month later. .well anyways. .if u want to keep the vents all u do is switch them .. from the left to the right. .its not like u can use the defrost on the driver side after it. . well thats what i did. .and now its directed at me very bright during the day but i have tinted windows so may vary
Old 10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Harlan does not make them anymore.

Keep an eye out in the parts for sale section and try the parts wanted...might get lucky.

But I went with the Raptor. I actually had the Harlan and sold it for the Raptor.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lithium
Harlan does not make them anymore.

Keep an eye out in the parts for sale section and try the parts wanted...might get lucky.

But I went with the Raptor. I actually had the Harlan and sold it for the Raptor.

What made you change?

Last edited by M6WS6; 10-11-2005 at 11:28 PM.