Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to Convert your 93-97 to 98+

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Convert your 93-97 to 98+

I've recieved probably close to 100 pms and emails from all over the world on how to do this.. There used to be a great site but it's no longer active. I"m working on maybe putting a site together but for now i'm working on a write up. I'll be presenting plenty of pictures and part numbers. Even the site I used it was missing many part numbers. I have found each and every part number and will be posting them here. If you have questiosn please continue to pm or email me at Davidnewman3@hotmail.com and I will continue to help Thanks David.

Referrences:

While i'm getting part numbers let me just make a common list.
98+hood
98+headlights (these are on back order and I recommend ebay and plan to take this in the butt)
98+fenders
98+bumper cover
98+reinforcement (foam under bumper)
if you are upgrading to a T/A
93+ T/A hatch will work
93+ T/A rear bumper
93+ T/A Side Skirts

Also you will want to get the 98+ fbody windshield wipers. These aren't required for the conversion to fit however it does complete the look.

FYI I've also upgraded the interior from graphite to ebony which is found int he 00-02 fbodys. everything is a direct fit except the dashs and consoles. the dashes on the 97+ yes 97+ are different and the consoles are different..I'll give more detail to what. If you want to swap dashes and consoles please go ahead and buy it. If you have a question you may email or pm me.

Something to think about if you have a formula or firebird and decide to use a 98+ t/a front bumber it will look weird with out the side skirts and then the sideskirts will look weird without the t/a rear bumper... A thought to keep in mind if you choose to change styles as well.

I had a 95 formula. It's not 00-02 T/A in and out minus the engine/wireharness.

Recommendation. IF you have the headlights go ahead and buy a brass gear rebuild kit. Your motor will eventually give out. IF you rebuild it now it will probably last as long as you have the car if not forever and it will save you $100 in the long run. Also because you are using expoxy I suggest doing it now so your not in a rush to get your motor working again like i did

More to come

Last edited by CONVERTED; 10-14-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats cool! Are you going to do the LS1 swap as well?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

If I wanted a 98 trans am I would have just bought one. Not to be a smartass but its just looks light alot of BS. sorry just my .02
Old 10-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1fbody355
If I wanted a 98 trans am I would have just bought one. Not to be a smartass but its just looks light alot of BS. sorry just my .02
Yes, selling the LT1 and buying an LS1 would probably be cheaper, and you'd have a better car too.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bone324
Yes, selling the LT1 and buying an LS1 would probably be cheaper, and you'd have a better car too.

I'll leave you with this.. After the cost of buying my car, converting it, painting it, and the conversion was from a formula to a T/A as well changign out interiors including dash, carpet, headlinger blah blah blah it's only cost $7800. Find me an 00+ with as many miles.

Also to compare to my avail. market. The only black ram air bird that has gone up for sale in the last 6 months that i've noticed is one that went for 18k on a 50k mile 01 That had no a/c lots of cosmetic imperfections (inside and out) open headers, untuned cam & the pervious owner sprayed the absolute **** out of it... I raced this car after my conversion and lost by roughly a foot or 2... the car is a turd. and it went for 18k..

So when I compare my car although not an LS1 I've saved thousands so far. I have no imperfections in my paint or interior. I'm dropping in an LQ9 truck motor in it with the new GM HP LS7 systle heads and intake that release in Jan and it will all cost far less than that 01... Oh by the way his motor just blew up a month ago... it had over handful of shaving in the pan.

So if your not interested in dealing with the bs of the conversion then dont'... however if you like a challenge and would like to preform a project that has a noticable difference you can be proud of and most likely save some money in the process I highly suggest it. Also if you'd like to avoid the cost of insurance on a 98+ car and like the cost of insurnace on your 93-97 this is also a great little trick..

For the record actual labor involved in in the whole conversion exterior wise took about 20 hours, 15 red bulls, and 12 beers. Inteirior 6 hours including dash/carpet.

I will be posting part numbers later today. if you have further question you may post here or pm me.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it only cost $1000 if that (i fond a 02 ta that was it in the back)...... and i got the car for $6000 and it only has 70,000 miles i bought off a old man..... a really old man. so it was worth it!!

Quick Reply: How to Convert your 93-97 to 98+