Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hatch motor from 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005 | 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Default Hatch motor from 3rd gen?

Anyone know if the power hatch motor from a 3rd gen can be installed in a 4th gen?
Old 10-29-2005 | 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

i've thought of doing that. i used to have an 88 Iroc and that was a nice feature.

I think it could work because if I remember right, the pull down latches are almost identical. the problem would be the felt trunk lining....the pull down motors arent real small so i dont think the lining would conform right. you may want to check into newer versions of the pull down latches. i know some cadillacs had them as well as buicks.

i wonder why gm decided the 4th gens didnt need them. are the spoiler lights that much better that they dont break from the jarring or is it something with the glass? hmm...
Old 10-29-2005 | 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Wew, I had an '86 that had it, and loved it. I've often wondered about a few cool 3rd gen features that the 4ths didn't get. One is the hatch pull down motor. Second is the overhead console...at a very minimum a dome light in the headliner even remotely above you. Right now I'm looking into fitting a 3rd gen overhead console into my Z. Remove the big useless sunglasses pouch and make a switch panel there. You know for linelock, manual fans, etc... The thing I miss MOST about my IROC is the damn light in the hatch!!! God I wish GM would've carried that over. Oh well, it was probably the same ******* that decided to keep the 7.5" 10 bolt in the LS1 cars.

As far as the hatch motor deal. I'm with you on the brake light/glass deal. The irritating thing about the 4th gen is the fact that for the hatch to release properly you have to ghetto rig it with a damn spring from a hardware store. I guess overall these are the small price we pay for having such badass cars.
Old 10-29-2005 | 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

i want that motor as well, it held the door down well. sometimes when i hit a big bump you can hear the latch moving around, its so annoying.but if i had that motor it would keep it down all the way.
Old 10-30-2005 | 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding

As far as the hatch motor deal. I'm with you on the brake light/glass deal. The irritating thing about the 4th gen is the fact that for the hatch to release properly you have to ghetto rig it with a damn spring from a hardware store. I guess overall these are the small price we pay for having such badass cars.
Old 10-30-2005 | 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 3rd Gen Trans Am had the auto shift boot made of leather, ala the Vette. Looked 10,000 times better than the 4th gen console. Also had the cool cupholders in the door.

I had a Cadillac with the electric pull down motor. Something went amiss in it, so when you popped the trunk, unless you grabbed the trunk up right away, the motor would pull it back closed. Never did figure that one out, sold the car pretty quickly.
Old 10-30-2005 | 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Well they had so much trouble with the motors breaking that I dont think they wanted to bother with it. I would like the dome light above me so when I wanna look at something I dont have to stick it under the rearview to see it.

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2005 | 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

I know some people had issues with the motor. I never had any with the one on my IROC. I think a large part of problems with cars is the way they're cared for...Not always, sometimes **** just breaks. I just know/have known different people with the same type of car. One guy takes care of the car, doesn't slam doors/trunk. The other guy runs it through the wash once a month, takes it to Jiffy Lube and generally just beats the **** out of it. The car that's cared for is in better shape 99% of the time. Unfortunately F-bodies are usually beat to hell and back unless you're the original owner or find a nice one.
Old 12-29-2007 | 10:56 PM
Teching In

Anyone know where I can get the motor for a 96 Camaro?