Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wire looms on top of valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wire looms on top of valve covers

I just bought a set of polished valvecovers, coil relocation kit from thunder, and fuel rails from Nasty Performance and am wondering if anyone has ever tried to relocate the ugly loom on top of the valve covers? I am also going to do the evap relocation and thought while I was at it I would try to hide to looms on top. Any ideas or pictures?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

link
you cant get rid of them, its the injector harness, along with the TB sensors and MAF wiring.

You can take the loom off the wires, take the tape off of them, and bundle them up again a little tighter and get a smaller loom on them.
You might be able to turn the injector "in" to where the connector is pointed towards the intake, and run the wiring inside the fuel rail in that mannor for part of them, but that will take alot of time and trial and error. I dont think it can be done with the way the rails mount to the intake though. I'll try it one day.

Since you are relocating the evap, you'll have to [ull those wires out anyways, and then the other connector thats part of the air system ( further back on the intake) you can take that little thing off, plug the hole, and either cut the connector off, or tuck it behind the intake, or pull the pins out and leave the wiring there, but save the connector incase you want to use it at a later date.

Best thing to do is buy new loom, smaller than what is there, some electrical tape, and have fun.

I taped the wiring bundles up in several places to keep them tight and closer together so they fit in smaller loom.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great!!! That is exactlt what I was looking for. I'd imagine that you got the smaller looms from any local auto store?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

do a search on here, there was a link posted to some really loom place..
you can find it at auto stores, though. look for the really flexible kind. some of brands of loom are harder and a PITA to work with in tight areas.

If you feel like really getting into it, you can pull the intake, and do all the loom behind there, replacing that, and moving to the passenger side.

Then work on the bundle of crap around PCM. Thats my next task after the LS6 valley cover...
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm actually planning on the LS-6 pcv and valey cover swap too. I figured I might as well try to get all of the stuff done over the winter, as I become awfully lazy over the summer . Thanks for the help!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're in good hands with Brandon...we spent this past summer trading info on cleaning up the top of the engine. I spent alot of time working on those harnesses...the hardest thing to deal with is the insulating/stress relieving (?) hard putty that is attached to the injector wires in several locations. The stuff makes it hard to compact the bundles of wires. For the passenger side, I was able to separate and reroute a few of the wires from the top loom, but most of them had to stay in place. I "stepped down" the loom to a smaller size about 1/3 of the way from the rear. On the drivers side, I separated the bundle into three parts. The coil pack wires, EVAP wires, and temp (?) sensor, and alternator wires are rerouted along the inside of the fenderwell by the fuel lines. Wires for the injectors, MAF, IAT, and TPS run in a smaller diameter loom that I tucked down into the valley b/w the injectors and head...you can see it fairly well in the pic I emailed you for the EVAP relocation.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

hrmmmm ill have to go back and reroute some of mine now. I forgot Lawman routed some that way.

Don't credit me for this stuff, Lawman gave me most of the ideas. I think we've sent like 50 emails back and forth with like 10 pages of info each time..

Im hoping I dont have any of the putty crap, I didn't run into that on the drivers side, and just hope its not there on the passenger side.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, when I posted this, I was hoping that you two would chime in! I have read a lot of posts from you two and have been impressed everytime. Hopefully my engine bay can compare when done. Thanks again guys!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

NP, brother...if you run into any troubles, we could probably meet up again and I can be a "technical advisor"

Brando...I didn't have any of the mystery putty on my driver's side...just on the pass. side and the coil pack harnesses...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah you are lucky being close to lawman.
(its a small state right? )

I didnt have any in the coil pack harnesses! Oh and when I put them back on the valve covers ( look in the pics) the harness is hidden. I'll get the wires remade sometime over xmas break.

You still have all of our old emails saved up? I have most I think. Lets compile and post up for the others.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brandon
yeah you are lucky being close to lawman.
(its a small state right? )

I didnt have any in the coil pack harnesses! Oh and when I put them back on the valve covers ( look in the pics) the harness is hidden. I'll get the wires remade sometime over xmas break.

You still have all of our old emails saved up? I have most I think. Lets compile and post up for the others.
Where? Pennsyltucky?

You guys should definetly compile and post, I think that others would be very interested in the info!

And yes, I am very lucky to live close to him. He has been a wealth of information and ideas in the "bling" department!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will take alot of editing to make it "work". Terminology is lacking. "that little thinger back by the other black plasticy thing."

Plus he's **** about the pictures he posts and uses. We'll get something together though. I may rewire around the PCM and passenger side this weekend, but that depends on if I feel like **** or not (sick). LS6 valley cover going on too.
I've had that thing for like 3 weeks now.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brandon
It will take alot of editing to make it "work". Terminology is lacking. "that little thinger back by the other black plasticy thing."
Yeah, there were some pretty odd descriptions floating around...I can't believe you didn't have any of the stress relief/insulating putty stuff (how about that for technical terminology?)...I assure you, it does exist...I'm not making it up!!

I'll look to see how many of the old emails I have...
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

ill see if i have any on the passenger side tomorrow.

If i get up early enough I plan on the valley swap..

Quick Reply: Wire looms on top of valve covers