Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how much difference will the clay bar make on my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend the clay bar highly. Everything that has been said is true.

I got a 98 camaro and the previous owner didn't wash the car on a weekly basis, I assume. Because the car had developed tiny brown dirt spots. At one time I thought it was rust.

I then hear about the claybar in this website and I try it on the bumper where it feels like sandpaper and it removed the brown spots and left the bumper very smooth. I just haven't gotten around to do the whole car to fully remove the other brown dots.

Mothers clay bar is awsome.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99zee
How was it a waste??
made my arm sore and it didnt do anything at all for my paint
Old 12-09-2005, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car
Understand about the sore arm. Your paint must be in great shape if you didn't notice any difference. I clay mine a couple times a year just to get the crap off of it. I did the Tahoe the other day and I got alot of rust color sh$t off of it. Must be fallout? It stay outside 24/7 so that doesn't help.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Took the clay bar to mine a month ago. The car is dark blue so it made a huge difference. I did half the hood and did the "before and after" reflection check. Even without wax, my reflection was more crisp after removing the dirt, and then once I got it waxed I couldn't even set my polishing cloth on the hood because it wanted to slide off. It is also much easier to wash and it looks cleaner longer because the dirt doesn't have anything to stick to. After washing and drying your car, run your hand over your hood and it doesn't feel like clean glass (don't use your sandblasted windshield as a reference!), it needs clayed. You will be amazed at the results.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

claybar is freaking amazing... we did it on my buddies white car... white cars benefit the most from clay barring.. if you look real close you can usually see little rust mark things... which if you didnt know is rail dust and metal shaving that lodge themselves into yur paint and then rust.. clar bar will take it ALL out.. my buddy also had some dingy shady spots on his paint on his door and stuff.. as well as under his gas door... surprisingly enough the clay bar also took those out!!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cop Car
More than likely it did, you just cant see it on the white car. You really have to have an eye for bodywork to see it on a white car in good condition. But its what you cant see the most that claybar takes care of anyway.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

i f#$&ing love the clay bar! i have a NMB 98 bird...and holy hell...after a (was, clay, wash, polish, wax(eagle one nano) it was amazing how much it shone! it looked show room qualitly! and the feel was amazing! just like glass....if you havent...do it! ya your arm will hurt but your car will thank you and you will be happy! and its under $20!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
DSCN0001b.bmp (87.9 KB, 94 views)
DSCN0011b.bmp (87.9 KB, 65 views)
DSCN0012b.bmp (87.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank
It's gonna sound like its ripping the paint off, especially on your 98...but thats a good sound!
it makes a sound eih? assuming ur not yanking, that's something nice to know ahead of time - something like that'd freak me out otherwise
Old 12-10-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99zee
Understand about the sore arm. Your paint must be in great shape if you didn't notice any difference. I clay mine a couple times a year just to get the crap off of it. I did the Tahoe the other day and I got alot of rust color sh$t off of it. Must be fallout? It stay outside 24/7 so that doesn't help.
my paint has more swirl marks than DQ ice cream. its absoutly terrible, it needs buffed if not wet sanded. i expected to see dirt come out of the paint but it didnt seem like any at all did. btw this reminds me i need to wax my car
Old 12-10-2005, 08:58 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

So would it be worth it on Pewter Metallic car? It's no longer daily-driven, and is garaged whenever I'm not driving it.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dreammmatt
it makes a sound eih? assuming ur not yanking, that's something nice to know ahead of time - something like that'd freak me out otherwise
I don't remember it making any real sounds. Just make sure you're keeping the area you're working with well lubricated and you should be fine.

Good advice for other activities too...

-Mike
Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stick your hand in a plastic bag and go over your car.. you'll feel grit/grain if it needs clay.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

today i wash, dry, clay, wax, and then polish the car. it looks so dam shiny!! but it took me about 3-4 hours doing it.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay Bars are awesome I recommend them to anybody. Just need some paitence and a 18 pack and go to town.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6formula98
today i wash, dry, clay, wax, and then polish the car. it looks so dam shiny!! but it took me about 3-4 hours doing it.
That was pretty quick actually. The first time I clayed and waxed mine it took me around 8 hrs. on a Sat.

Quick Reply: how much difference will the clay bar make on my car