Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Headlight idea...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight idea...

ok so it looks like no one can finish a decent non-popup headlight assembly... I had an idea a while back for this but im not sure if A. it will work and B. if its practical enough for everyone.. but here it goes!

I was thinking of just replacing my foglights with lowbeam projectors... thats it... then you can disconnect the headlights and rewire the switch to turn on the projector instead of the headlights... no more poping up, and you have projector headlights... now there are somethings im not sure about...

1. being about a foot lowere in the foglight area, would this not work for headlights? and is it illegal? and what are the chances of actually getting pulled over?

2. i know this way you cant have high beams but thats not a problem for me, i never use high beams except to flash other people to tell them to turn theirs off. thats it.. so i dont need them and i live way out in the boonies with no street lamps and im fine. so I dont think this would be a problem for most but yeah its another "drawback"

what do you guys think? it solves the whole "popup" issue and gives us the projector bulbs that look so very very nice. only problem is that they are lower than stock bulb height. which could be a problem.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine drives with just marker lights and fogs in his 96 Z28. just cause his fogs are a really bright blue and the headlights are that ugly yellow cause they are sealed beams. he's only been pulled over once in two and a half years. and he just said "oops i forgot to turn my lights on officer" it's illegal. but it'll solve the pop-up problem
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive around with my foglights on all the time and no headlights. Considering my fogs are brighter than my brights (but properly aimed so they're not blinding people) the cops I guess just don't care, haven't been pulled over yet and I've been around a lot of cops.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1).it wont pass state inspection with none workin headlamps. it is illegal to drive around on your fogs...it would get you pulled over by joe shmoe renegade cop that feels the need to pull everyone over all the time.

2).solves the no-pop up issue however there are still pop-up headlamps there.

3). i think the number 1 reason people want non-pop up headlamps isnt for the illumination factor, its just to stand apart from other T/A owners. it looks differant.

good idea...but its really not resolving the real issue at hand if ya know what i mean.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point TNTramair. Make sure if you resort to only using fogs that you do it in a state without inspections, or figure out a way to have the headlights return to stock at a flick of a switch for inspections. Here in Michigan it's no problem, but other places it would be.

Quick Reply: Headlight idea...