Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Thorough Wheel Cleaning: On or off the car?

Old 01-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thorough Wheel Cleaning: On or off the car?

hey guys, I was outside cleaning the windows and doorjam areas on my z28 when i noticed how filthy the wheels have gotten. tonight i stumbled across some pics and they look completey differet Not only the wheels, but I was like...whoa...I had painted calipers? What do the majority of you do to clean that area? Do you actually unbolt the wheel and take it off? I know that would make cleaning away every last bit of dirt and brake dust a snap, but it just sounds like a major pain

I have some spray that I assume is some form of acid that you spray on for like 30 secs, wait and then spray it off. But I have been lazy and havent bought a brush small enough to use on the wheels to massage it away fully, so they never got really clean. Yup...right now they're a brownish orange and make me wanna

Any recommendations on cleaning this area of my car would be much appreciated. (they're stock matte alloy and not glossy)
Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

I did once. The brake dust came back so fast I probably wont do it again. I did manage to scrape off alot of (what I think is) melted asphalt pieces off the inside of the rim though. How the hell does that stuff get there? One of those great human mysteries..

As to the outside, I simply use whatever I wax my car with on the rims after a wash, buff and polish, then use Mr Clean Magic Erasers to touch them up between washes if needed.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a large soft bristle paint brush carefully to clean my rotor hubs and painted brake calipers. Actually, I use the brush alot when I wash my car... emblems, trim pieces and especially in the grooves between body panels.

I do a little washing of the inner rim area, but not farther than I can reach easily. I just wait about cleaning the inner wheel area that you can't see until I have the wheel(s) off the car.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I dont personally do it, but to get a great detail job out of the inside of the rim there's no other way to do it. Yeah, its a PITA for some of us who dont have access to 4-post lifts and have asphalt driveways and no garages etc, but I dunno of anything that works well enough without pullin the rim.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

When I had the snowflakes, I would take them off about twice a year and clean them inside and out. Now that I have the ZR1's, I can reach between the spokes and do a pretty good job of cleaning everything. I'm about to get new shocks, so when I do that, I'll probably also get the rotors turned, replace the brake pads, bleed the brakes, and clean everything really well while everything is apart.

-Mike

Search this Thread