Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1998 grill delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 grill delete

hi this is my first time postin in this section. I have a white 1998 Camaro Z28. I took the grill off the front yesterday. And dont get me wrong it looks alot better with it off, but now i am thinkin i shouldnt have done it due to the fact all the holes were the old grill popped in are showing. Is this how it should be..and also the styro foam, or however you spell that, am i suppose to leave it alone, or take that out too? ..is this suppose to give the car a more ram air type set up or just strictly appearance? thanx
Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, thats how its supposed to be. You can fill in those holes if you want, or get something like an SLP Bowtie grille, or a billet grille to go over that area if you want. But the cheapest route would be fill in the holes and paint to match.

And me personally, I wouldnt remove that insulation. You could put some mesh right there to make it look better, but I personally wouldnt mess with it (it'll do nothing but put air in, its not functional ram air unless you duct it from right there)
Old 01-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Launching!

what would i fill it in with?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Body filler of some kind I would assume. I'll let someone who's got more experience elaborate on that being Im covering mine with a SLP grille.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

correct, body filler will work, then u need to get it painted. dont remove the styrofoam. use mesh grille to cover it or something. my car is white also. i paint to paint that are black. then maybe put a billet grille on
Old 01-18-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

I heard a trick about putting superglue gel on sandpaper and sanding over the holes to fill them... Dont know anything else about it though...
Old 01-18-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt use body filler, use fiberglass "kitty hair" the bondo will crack.

The wings west grill is only 140 and does the same thing
Old 01-18-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02Firehawk#614
I wouldnt use body filler, use fiberglass "kitty hair" the bondo will crack.

The wings west grill is only 140 and does the same thing
Wings West quit selling that grille. Only company who has a similar one is RKSport and it has their logo plastered on the middle of it so you'd still have to fill it.

And I figured that with the bondo, but I wasnt about to say it and look dumb lol. Is that fiberglass more prone to flexing than body filler? What about possibly using some sort of plastic-based filler? (if there is such a thing...) Im not a body guy, so excuse the ignorance. Im asking ?s that some newbies might not be thinking of being I know that area flexes, and I'd wouldnt want something thats so rigid it would crack.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
Wings West quit selling that grille. Only company who has a similar one is RKSport and it has their logo plastered on the middle of it so you'd still have to fill it.

And I figured that with the bondo, but I wasnt about to say it and look dumb lol. Is that fiberglass more prone to flexing than body filler? What about possibly using some sort of plastic-based filler? (if there is such a thing...) Im not a body guy, so excuse the ignorance. Im asking ?s that some newbies might not be thinking of being I know that area flexes, and I'd wouldnt want something thats so rigid it would crack.
RK Sport used to sell their carbon fiber ones without their logo, that was the one I bought and I was at first going to go and get it painted black but once I saw how the carbon fiber looked, I decided to keep it that way, I just added the SS logo on it.

DG Motorsports sells carbon fiber ones too, you'd just have to paint it whatever color you want.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Try these products. I got them locally at an auto paint store and an autoparts store. That is if you want to strip and re-paint the front end properly, or if you're brave, paint that one section and blend the paint...
http://www.autobodypro.com/tektips/a...lastic_sec.htm

As for filler, I suggest a plastic filler, such as Fusor 114, which I also purchased at the auto paint store:
http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1193

I am using these products to shave my tail panel, and also to do the same thing you are, fill in the old gille holes... good luck...