Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Who else has issues with clear side marker lense?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else has issues with clear side marker lense?

I bought the clear ones with the black housing last week from procarparts.com.

The install was pretty easy, and there really isn't much you can do wrong. The only little snag was getting the old one out. I used the orange bulbs that came with the clears, and I did notice that the bulb clicks in twice to be properly seated. I made a mistake at first on the passenger side with which I started and the blub hung too low causing the plastic at the bottom to crinkle up and melt a bit. I corrected that right away though. Today I look at the other side which had no problems, and still I see some of the plastic crinkling and melting, and this is with only about 40 miles of driving time!

What kind of **** is this? Don't they produce any quality products anymore? Why do they not send a bulb that won't create so much heat, or why don't they use plastic that won't melt from just looking at it hard? This pisses me off!

The other issue I have is that on one of the lenses, the one through which you can see the small bulb, there seems to be a milky film, it's not as clear as the rest of the lens, and not as clear as it's counterpart on the other side.

Grrrrrrrr!

I bet as soon as I wash the car, I will have fish swimming around in all the water that will accumulate in these pieces of ****!

Anyone else have bad experiences?

Manny
Old 01-28-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

all aftermarket corners leak and ****. i heard of some people re-sealing them. but as for them melting ? i have no idea
Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

No issues with melting on my cheapie Ebay diamond clears. I did seal the lense/housing with marine grade silicone prior to installing them. No water issues yet and they've been on for about 2 years now.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it's recommened to disable the DRL's with the clear corner lenses.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i sealed my clear corners and the ***** still got some moisture in. they are from ebay but they all Suck
Old 01-28-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RemiSS2002
it's recommened to disable the DRL's with the clear corner lenses.

That really wouldn't do me much good since I usually just use my car at weekends at night, so the lights have to be on anyhow.

Ah well, they're cheap, once they look to fucked up, I'll just get new ones. Now that I know how to do it, the install won't be hard.

It's still a damn shame that they can't make OEM quality aftermarket parts.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Teching In

I also bought my clear corners from procarparts, no black housing though. I used the orange lights that came with them, big mistake. My passenger side light went out three times within a couple of weeks. If I were you I would go down to my local Autozone or whatever, and pick up some Sylvania lights. I believe the numbers are 3157NA and 194NA. It's been two months since I put those in, and no problems since. Oh yeah, if the bulb sockets are corroded, you may want to use some Di-Electric to clean them up.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdsmooth
I also bought my clear corners from procarparts, no black housing though. I used the orange lights that came with them, big mistake. My passenger side light went out three times within a couple of weeks. If I were you I would go down to my local Autozone or whatever, and pick up some Sylvania lights. I believe the numbers are 3157NA and 194NA. It's been two months since I put those in, and no problems since. Oh yeah, if the bulb sockets are corroded, you may want to use some Di-Electric to clean them up.

Do those run any cooler than the ones procarparts sends along?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine are fine I havent had any problems with mine and I have the black housing ones from procarparts.com.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

I've had the cheapy clear corners from ebay for about 2-3 weeks now and they look awesome. One of the bulbs they came with burnt out the day after I put them in and it was $10 for a new pair of yellow bulbs at Pep Boys. Rip off.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
What kind of **** is this? Don't they produce any quality products anymore? Why do they not send a bulb that won't create so much heat, or why don't they use plastic that won't melt from just looking at it hard?

Yea... Thats why I am making my own LED clears. I plan on just clearing my existing side markers, and filling them with LED's...
Old 01-29-2006, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

i bought mines from procarparts.com and i have moisture in the front ones, it sucks up here because of the weather i never had this problem in the summer, i guess thats what happens when u shop in ebay trying to save a buck or two.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by geo 95 bird
i bought mines from procarparts.com and i have moisture in the front ones, it sucks up here because of the weather i never had this problem in the summer, i guess thats what happens when u shop in ebay trying to save a buck or two.
Thats common with any aftermarket corners. What you do is take them out and get a hair dryer and it will dry them out.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

i have had 3 different sets on two different cars and 2 out of 3 have melted. the second set leaked really bad. the current set that i have now is from procarparts and they are the best. i drilled small holes in the bottom of the lenses to let the water out and have had no problems and they have been in the car for over two years.

as for the melting issues i have had that as well. the first two set did melt but i used the bulbs that came with the lenses. on this third set i used led bulbs and have had no problems. i think that the issue with melting is the head from the stock bulbs and the drls being on all the time.

dustin
Old 01-29-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spdracer
i have had 3 different sets on two different cars and 2 out of 3 have melted. the second set leaked really bad. the current set that i have now is from procarparts and they are the best. i drilled small holes in the bottom of the lenses to let the water out and have had no problems and they have been in the car for over two years.

as for the melting issues i have had that as well. the first two set did melt but i used the bulbs that came with the lenses. on this third set i used led bulbs and have had no problems. i think that the issue with melting is the head from the stock bulbs and the drls being on all the time.

dustin

Where did you get the LED bulbs from, and do you have a part number?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Havent had any problems out of my set yet. I didnt get the black housings, just the clears. I didnt put in the orange bulbs supplied by PCP, I just kept the stock whites in (yes, I know its "illegal" but I havent gotten any **** yet, and Ive actually gotten compliments from officers as to how clean it looks).

I did seal up the corners more with silicone, but I left the side markers alone. I'll double check to see if there's any problems in the future, but for now (knock on wood) there's no problems.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

i can not remember where i got them from it has been awhile and they were not a sponser. i will look around and see if i can find some and let you know.

dustin
Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy works at Adavance Auto Parts, so he got me the correct LED's from APC, even says "for chevy use" on the box. Well, I put one in, turned on the lights, and well....no lights...no taillights no foglights, and no instrument panel lights. I checked the fuses and the taillight fuse got hosed. Replaced it with a new one and everything works again. What the hell?? Those LED's had a resistor built in, and they were made for these cars! Anyhow, they had the bulbs made by Silverstar, so I picked up a set of those and so far so good, they look kinda cool too, gets rid of that ugly orange bulb and still stays legal since it does light up orange when the lights come on.

Manny
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this thread is all people that have them, could someone take a picture in the evening/dusk/night with the lights on? I want to see how the bulb looks when it's on. I like mine being tinted, but dang I love how our stock sidemarkers look at night when they're on...
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

APC SUCKS!!! It really stands for All Pieces of Crap. I had some 3157's for my tails I got on clearance at Walmart. One way they blew the fuse for brake lights, the other way they blew the fuse for the running lights. JUNK. I want to replace my bulbs with either the Silverstars or the Phillips chrome bulbs I just put in my Sonoma. the only problem is there's not a good bulb for the 194's short of LED's. I had some chrome coated 194's in my truck and the coating bubbled off after 2 days use.

Quick Reply: Who else has issues with clear side marker lense?