Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

So look at what I just ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually did a setup very much like what Dirty Bird is planning. I used a 3" projector housing off of an E class mercedes and put an 8000K bulb into it. Turned out pretty well. I am working on getting stuff together so that I can actually have documentation of what the process involved.

Here is a picture of the projector I used.

While they aren't meant to be used with HID, they still do a awesome job at spreading the light and making a day and night difference over the stock setup.

I used a lot of what I saw here to put together my own setup.

HIDPlanet Link
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
what the hell is that huge box on the back of the projector?
That is the ignitor. Some HID power supplies have the ignitor built into the ballast and some have it seperate. The ignitor has to be fairly close to the bulb, so if it's built into the ballast the ballast wires can't be too long. If you have the ignitor seperate, it can either be right behind the bulb or within 8 inches or so.

Here are the 3 main designs.
Ignitor built into ballast. (cleanest design and what you should look for)
Ignitor mounted right behind bulb (bulky and not what you need)
Ignitor mounted seperately in between the ballast and bulb, but connected by wires. (that design will work as well, but it's not very clean)

I think the best is the Audi model 3rd gen. ballast made by Hella in Germany. It has the ignitor built into the ballast for a clean look, has an 14" cable for more ballast mounting locations and most importantly it has an 80* angle on the connector.
Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails So look at what I just ordered!-2000-audi-a6-ballast-vs-lvq212-1-.jpg  
Old 02-21-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Divergent Lightning
I actually did a setup very much like what Dirty Bird is planning. I used a 3" projector housing off of an E class mercedes and put an 8000K bulb into it. Turned out pretty well. I am working on getting stuff together so that I can actually have documentation of what the process involved.
I'm not sure what you did, but you have the same body style as me, so I'm curious. Do you still have pop-ups and you just converted to projectors?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have the pop-ups. It was tuff getting the 3" projector lens to be able to go up and down with the pop-up and not hit the bumber on the way up and down...

I will try to get pictures later today showing set up and beam pattern.

Quick Reply: So look at what I just ordered!