Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

upcoming detail job.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upcoming detail job.

I'm getting ready to do my first major detail and have been doing a lot of research on here and other sites regarding the steps/procedures i should take. I must admit, the info here has been much more beneficial as compared to other sites, so for that I thank you all.

I'm planning on polishing the entire car with Menzerna intensive polish, then Menzerna final polish II, then sealing with Zaino Z2 Pro. I also have a number of rock chips on the front bumper and hood that I'm planning on taking care of with this method.... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32625

The other appearence item i'd like to fix is an area about a foot wide on my back bumper where it looks like the previous owner dropped something on, causing spider web cracks. I dont think they can be felt with a fingernail and I'm wondering if the above method to remove scratches and rock chips will work.

Also, I'm looking for a product that will remove interior plastic scuffs (from feet accidently rubbing the door frame interior when getting in and out of the car) as well as something to shine up black interior plastic, mainly on the doors where misc. rain drops have made their way in while getting in and out of the car during a storm. the rain has kind of put a "dirty" look on the plastic there. I dont want something thats gonna make things look all greasy...just new.

If anyone has any ideas, pointers, comments, suggestions regarding my upcoming detail, I'd be happy to hear.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well as far as the bumper question goes I can help with that.The cracking you are seeing is the clearcoat.My front and rear bumpers did the same thing.The whole bumper will need to be repainted.Lots of f-bodies have had the same problem.I personally dont think GM used a flex additive in their paint when they painted these cars or they didnt use the proper amount.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Well as far as the bumper question goes I can help with that.The cracking you are seeing is the clearcoat.My front and rear bumpers did the same thing.The whole bumper will need to be repainted.Lots of f-bodies have had the same problem.I personally dont think GM used a flex additive in their paint when they painted these cars or they didnt use the proper amount.
Yeah, I've always heard the bumper needs to be replaced, but i'm wondering if you could use a toothpick and just barely cover each clearcoat fracture with touch up paint, wetsand, then polish...just like you'd do to the rock chips or other scratches that go deeper than the clear.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

...ttt
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can try it but i highly doubt that it will work