Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how the hell did u install ur billet grille?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the one that you got, and I personally liked it BETTER because of the close bars. I ditched the zip ties long ago pulled the factory grille and made some aluminum standoffs to mount the grille with small screws. Of course, I also trimmed some of the edges of the grille down so that it would sink down a little further into the nose. It is possible to use the zip ties, just have to loop them around the slots at the edges of the factory piece. Its a pain, and you'll have to pull them TIGHT so that it doesn't pop out.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think nc is on the right path. The intended way to mount this is right on top of the factory plastic grille. But as you probably can tell by now, that will look pretty bad.

If you like the fine slats, then you should probably just figure out a way to make it work, tack weld some brackets on there to get 4 self tapping screws into, and just screw it right into the fascia (after you black it out). Basically mimic the stull mounting approach.

If you decide to get a stull, I got mine at summit. Might be better places but you can still get it there.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Here's my ebay 4 screw grill, so badass!

Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
son of a bitch, there no effin way in hell to get this dam grill attached

FU*K YOU EBAYYYYYYYYYY ...IT CLEARLY STATED FOR 98-02 MODELS WTFF
actually i remember a guy that bought that grill. he used really long screws. and just let the head rest on the out side of the grill. id slid the shaft of the screw thew the little slit. and the bars are so close that teh head of the screw rested on the bars. make since. yeah u could see 4 screw heads. but with that much metal showing (so many bars) silver screws didnt really show that bad :shrug:

but another vote for stull grills
Old 03-31-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stull grille just bolts right into the existing holes from the stock grill am I correct?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EviLS1
The stull grille just bolts right into the existing holes from the stock grill am I correct?
no, but its not hard to put a screw through the plastic bumper.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Im wanting to replace mine with another "less weathered" one but I was curious if anybody had taken thiers off and put it back on. Im kind of worried after I take it off the holes wont hold as strongly the second time around. Anybody tried this?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Launching!

guys....IM PISSED
Old 03-31-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to take mine off twice after the first installation. Once when I decided to properly black it out, and once after the entire front bumper cover was re-painted.

I wouldn't worry about it. You could always get slightly larger screws, like decking screws. Basically drywall screws but with a zinc plating on them.

It seems to me the screws are grabbing onto the bumper foam as well, not just the thickness of the bumpe itself.

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Im wanting to replace mine with another "less weathered" one but I was curious if anybody had taken thiers off and put it back on. Im kind of worried after I take it off the holes wont hold as strongly the second time around. Anybody tried this?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
guys....IM PISSED
Did you try emailing the ebay seller and asking for a good picture of the grille installed, or a detailed set of directions?

Try that first. Otherwise, any good owner should be able to figure out a solution with zip ties, jb weld, epoxy, and spare metal parts that will work out and look good. Just do it.

Remember, anything you do to the area the bumper would be covered up should you take it back to stock. So there shouldn't be a lot of tension about drilling a couple new holes. Just do it.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Heres my screw in Stull, less grille lines, better it looks IMO, sprayed1998 I think u have convinced me to take my license plate off and get clear corners cause i love ur car

Quick Reply: how the hell did u install ur billet grille?