Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash needs fixing. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Dash needs fixing. Any ideas?

Ok, so i went into a store yesterday for about an hour and when i came back out, the piece of dash plastic that has the defrost vent was cracked all the way up to the windshield. Has anyone had this happen? Would be the cheapest way to fix it. Please let me know!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can just replace that piece, should be a royal pain though, I believe the whole dash must be removed.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

That sucks! If anyone knows of a way to replace it without taking the whole dash off, please let me know.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

You should be able to remove the dash pad without pulling the whole dash. It is held in with clips at the front and velcro closer to the window. Find a place that you can get under the dash pad and start pulling up. Just go slowly and carefully, especially around the A-pillar covers. I've seen a suggestion to remove these first, but mine really didn't want to come off with the dash pad in place.

However.... I seem to recall that the one for the Camaro is no longer available new. If that proves to be true, you'll need to visit a junkyard for a replacement.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Twice for me, one on my camaro and now my TA. The pads do come out w/o the dash needing to be removed. Take the A- pillar covers off first. The pads are interchangable between camaro's and Ta's. Like the 97-02 camaros fit Ta's...blah, blah. Make sure its the same color though.

I heard GM stopped making it too. They used to be like $150 new. I got my used one for $50 on the board
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well that is the best news i have heard all day! If anyone has a dash pad that they would like to get rid of please let me know. Also, if anyone has any other advice on how to take the dash pad out i would appreciate it so i don't screw things up any more. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:36 AM
TECH Regular

man, what a pain... i guess its something to do with their design or so, everybody i know who has an LT1 has had that piece cracked at one time or the other
Old 04-14-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine cracked in both the camaros ive owned, im not replcing it cuz itll happen again lol maybe if u run a dash mat thatll help preventing the sun from drying them out and cracking
Old 04-14-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's cracked to all hell from my own negligence while having it out of the car. I got a 97+ pad from a junkyard for $20, guy didn't realize how much they're worth apparently. A buddy of mine checked 3 junkyards and couldn't find a 93-96 one, though... all of them were already gone from the vehicles. Truthfully, a bit of preventative maintenance is the best way to go... at the local auto stores, they have a plastic epoxy that's in a two part dispenser tube. But a couple of those, then take your dash and glue as much of the bottom of the dashpad as you can. I have the glue all over under my dashpad and it provides a very strong extra layer that doesn't get brittle and crack. I had originally glued a spot where I had cracked my dashpad on accident while painting it. I got this stuff and glued a nice layer underneathe the crack, then sanded it down smooth, light coat of glazing putty to fill the crack, then painted my dashpad a flatblack (it goes with the rest of my interior) a few months later I was walking with the dashpad and I tripped over some plastic dropclothes and went forward with the dashpad having the dashpad land on it's edge on the cement. It cracked alright, BUT the spot that took the brunt of the impact was right where I had epoxied, and that area didn't crack, it held firm... if only I would've glued the rest of the dashpad..
Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

last night I found a write up about how to remove it in the stereo and electronic section, I am sorry for the bad info earlier, that piece can be removed with out removing the whole dash, Kyle got it right, thier are a only clips holding it on and velcro. I would think you need to go easy not to damage the paddded front piece. Good luck. I am still looking for the link to it I book marked it, but no luck, it took me long enough to find this thread again.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this problem on my car too... We've had 5 93+ TA's and only one so far has had this crack appear. Its funny two of the 3 we have right now are parked outside a majority of the time and the only one to crack was my garage queen lol.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

I would really appreciate it if you could find the write up on how to remove the dash pad without messing everything up. I don't have a replacement yet and it might take a little while to get the $$ together depending on how cheap i can find one. If you find the write up please post it so that i can figure out what the heck i am doing. Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

What was the name of the thread that had the write up in it baout removing the dash pad? i would really like to take a look at it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

does anyone know what is the correct color for a 97 dash pad? Is it the same color as the one in a 99? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

to remove the dash piece, you need to remove both a-pillars as stated. Then, get your fingers underneath the plastic starting at one end (easy now that the a-pillars are out), and slowly work your way across the dash to pop the clips out. The back is just velcro'ed down. Once it's up, you need to maneuver it around a bit to clear the metal a-pillars and come out of the car, but it's not too hard.

mike
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

I have a crack in my dash above the glove compartment. I was parked outside and when I returned 20 minutes later, there was the crack. I think I'll try the plastic epoxy route on the underneath to strengthen the thing. Do you also apply this stuff to the crack on top as well? I suppose it would look better than the crack itself if you sanded it with really fine paper.....
Old 05-08-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can just see the cost of these things going up if GM has stopped making them.......
Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

I've decided I'd like to pull mine out and take it to someone who can fix it and maybe strengthen it so it doesn't happen again. So it sounds like the A pillars on the left and right that extend down and touch the dash pad - how do you remove these? I don't want to rush it and crack something else in the process. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Default 97-99 dash new

i recently purchased a camaro and have to replace the section of the dash i found this site about a week ago a lil pricey but not sure how u would fix it without the crack showing...heres the site

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...dept%5Fid=1648
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

I see that Permatex has a dash and vinyl repair kit that will probably look like an obvious fix. I saw on camaroz28.com that some have wrapped their dash with vinyl - the only issue is working around the vent.

Last edited by MrEddie; 05-15-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash needs fixing. Any ideas?