Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wet-sanded and buffed: 01 White Firehawk!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you did a fantastic job!

Keep it protected!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:41 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

You got big ***** man! LOL
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Looks real good
Old 05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

I want to try this so bad but I think Im gonna try on a donor panel first.... maybe a few times.

Looks good!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks really good!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i know my car needs it but im too scared to try it. any tips? can you go into a little more depth on how you did it? car looks great. oh and my car is black.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see you got the car, congrats wanna do another white one? haha
Old 05-01-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job man. I plan on doing that to my whole car once I grab another DD. Right now too much **** gets on the car for me to "waste" my time doing it.

Andy
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
yeah i know my car needs it but im too scared to try it. any tips? can you go into a little more depth on how you did it? car looks great. oh and my car is black.

The only real "tip" I can think of is to keep your fingers together, don't spread them out. Put equal pressure on the piece of paper ( bout six inches by 4 is the size I used ) and keep it wet. I just used straight water when I wet sanded mine, I was just practicing on the car though, b/c we painted the car, so instead of just prepping the car, I decided to wet sand the car to try and make it look good on one panel. It was really easy, and went pretty fast actually, and I NEVER burnt threw the 10 year old clear.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good! Ive buffed my white car a couple of times with some 3m fine cut to get it deep/glossy looking. I know its only white as well but every little bit helps.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Looks great man!

Gotta love arctic white on these cars!

I bet it looks amazing in person...white is one of those colors that is hard to capture in pictures..
Old 05-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
Make sure the car is clean before starting, maybe wash with warm water and dish detergent like I did to strip all wax/oils. I started with a full sheet of sandpaper wrapped around a sponge to keep pressure even. I tried not to spend to much time in one area. Spray with the spray bottle often while your sanding, as any little piece of dirt will make all your work in vain, and you wont know until the final finish after you have already spent hours! Check often while sanding, as you want to sand just enough to remove the orange peel and get a flat surface. Also, rinse, dry, and go over with a tack cloth after sanding with each different grade of sandpaper.
Be careful while buffing near sharp edges, especially with the coarser compounds. I taped the edges of the panels adjacent to the panel I was working on.
It will take a loooonnnng time, but it is worth it, IMO. Even on WHITE! With black, you are going to take extra time with the finer compounds to get out the "haze" (you`ll see what I mean).
Old 05-02-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

I had my car repainted at a GM place, black with violet pearl, it looks like a factory job with all the "orange peel" I guess this is what I need to do to get it looking good....

I'm skerred though, since I will be close to baltimore (I live/work in DC again in June) what do you think about mentoring? I'll buy the beer?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hawk312
There wasn`t one spot where I burned through the clear (no white paint on the pads), much less through the color. I am finding that this "factory paint is thin" thinking is a myth.
Anyway, I don`t think it came out too bad for only my second try.
Of course you didnt burn through. when you wetsand and buff the factory clear, it gets too thin, especially on top of the fenders, and eventually uv rays will cause the clear to lose its bond with the paint. In 1-3 years your clear will come off the top of your fenders. Not trying to be mean, im just telling you what will happen if you dont get it re-cleared
Old 05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroextra
eventually uv rays will cause the clear to lose its bond with the paint. In 1-3 years your clear will come off the top of your fenders. Not trying to be mean, im just telling you what will happen if you dont get it re-cleared
I`m not trying to be mean, but I seriously doubt it. I have seen factory clear coats that were wetsanded and buffed over 5 years ago without any signs of what you are saying, and in fact still look better than factory. In theory, you may be right. I just never have seen it simply because of wetsanding. I would rather take a chance with that than to have it it re-cleared and taking the chance of the new clear not liking the old and lifting, or a body shop guy getting his fingerprints on the car just before clear coating and having it lift (which I do have an experience with).
Also, I plan to keep this well maintained with many coats of Zaino. It would be crazy to wetsand an entire car and not take care of it.
Regardless, I could care less since this only comes out of the garage on the weekends.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hawk312
I`m not trying to be mean, but I seriously doubt it. I have seen factory clear coats that were wetsanded and buffed over 5 years ago without any signs of what you are saying, and in fact still look better than factory. In theory, you may be right. I just never have seen it simply because of wetsanding. I would rather take a chance with that than to have it it re-cleared and taking the chance of the new clear not liking the old and lifting, or a body shop guy getting his fingerprints on the car just before clear coating and having it lift (which I do have an experience with).
Also, I plan to keep this well maintained with many coats of Zaino. It would be crazy to wetsand an entire car and not take care of it.
Regardless, I could care less since this only comes out of the garage on the weekends.
true. i was just looking out for a fellow ls1 owner. I just put in my 2 cents because i work at a shop that mainly builds and paints f-bodies, and i have seen that happen before. this is florida though, and not all the cars have been garaged all week.

car does look awesome!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroextra
true. i was just looking out for a fellow ls1 owner. I just put in my 2 cents because i work at a shop that mainly builds and paints f-bodies, and i have seen that happen before. this is florida though, and not all the cars have been garaged all week.

car does look awesome!

Thanks, and that`s cool. I have seen clear lifting on some f-bodies, mine included. But I think it was because it was a daily driver that sat in the sun without being polished/waxed often.

Quick Reply: Wet-sanded and buffed: 01 White Firehawk!