Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dented Headlight panel...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dented Headlight panel...?

Hey guys, I was working on trying to solve a nasty squeak under the hood, pulled the tensioner off and dropped it right on the passenger side headlight putting a pretty noticable dent in it. This is a pretty easy panel to get off...

so is it a bad idea to take it off and try to tap the dent out from the other side ? or will I probably only make things worse?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely you will make it worse. but i would probally give it a try . Hell even if you make it worse im sure you can find a used headlight cover online somewhere.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Are they metal? If so, try heating it up and then putting some dry ice on it. Should pop right out if it's minor.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Are they metal? If so, try heating it up and then putting some dry ice on it. Should pop right out if it's minor.
Definitely don't heat it up, it will change the color of the paint in that one spot.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Onyx Z
Definitely don't heat it up, it will change the color of the paint in that one spot.
It shouldn't be.

I'm not talking about with a torch or anything like that. Maybe just a hairdryer or something of the sort. It should really only be about as hot as the surface of your car would get on a hot summer day in the sun. As a matter of fact, that's how I hear most people doing it. You can just wait for a warm day and leave the car in the direct sun for an hour or two. Then just place the dry ice on it and the instant cold should pop it out.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I might try the hairdryer + dry ice thing. I just dont want to make it any worse since its kind of one of those things that nobody else would really notice until I point it out.

I just can't believe I dropped that bigass tensioner on the car, I still feel like a dumbass for that....

Quick Reply: Dented Headlight panel...?