Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sebring Silver paint code/prep

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sebring Silver paint code/prep

I'm looking to do some spray paint touch ups until I can afford a full repaint. I went to the parts store and the closest to Sebring Silver I could find was Ultra Silver. They said if I had the paint code they could mix it up and put it in a spray can for me.

Another question, when "touching up" scratches should I just spray it on or should I do some prep? How much prep should I do? I was planning on sanding the scratch down, spraying a few coats of the silver paint on, wetsanding the silver with 1500 grit, then clearcoating it. Will this work? Tips and paint codes welcome!!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I'm looking to do some spray paint touch ups until I can afford a full repaint. I went to the parts store and the closest to Sebring Silver I could find was Ultra Silver. They said if I had the paint code they could mix it up and put it in a spray can for me.

Another question, when "touching up" scratches should I just spray it on or should I do some prep? How much prep should I do? I was planning on sanding the scratch down, spraying a few coats of the silver paint on, wetsanding the silver with 1500 grit, then clearcoating it. Will this work? Tips and paint codes welcome!!

First and foremost do NOT wetsand any metallic paint, only solids. Now on to your other questions:

Sebring Silver is: 13/WA9566 that is the code you will need for a match.

You will need to wetsand the scratch out and the grit paper needed depends on how deep the scratch is. Next, take some high build primer(Duplicolor gray is good stuff and primer the area needing repair. Feather out the primer with subsequent coats. Wetsand the primer with 800-1000 grit to blend in edges. Then, you can apply your base coat. Word of caution, you are trying to spray the hardest known color to man and even experts have a hard time blending in metallic silver. Reason is, if you shoot too close to the surface, your going to apply more metallic and it will look darker, too far away and it will look lighter. Not to discourage you , but don't expect miracles here with that particular color.

Quick Reply: Sebring Silver paint code/prep