Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Parking Lights dim when headlights are on!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking Lights dim when headlights are on!!!!!!

I have a 1998 SS Camaro and i already did the sensor! for the lights to turn on automatically. now i ran into another situation. i just got some pretty nice looking bulbs in which i would like to drive with them on all the time but i have noticed that when i turn on my headlights my parking lights (yellow ones) dim out quite a bit. Is there anyway to have both the headlights and the parking lights without dimming out? Searched for it and couldn't find it. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the yellow light is referred to as the daytime running lamp, when your headlights cut on(sensing dark) they are supposed to cut off...im sure you can change wiring around and do it but it would be kinda pointless imo....
Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way around it, that I can see, is if you wire the new lights into the wiring for your fog lights. Your fog lights never dim, so theoretically, you could wire them together and have them never dim. Only problem with that is that you will have to run your fogs and your Daytime Running Lamps {DRL's} at the same time.

You could also run power and negative wires from, say, a remote battery terminal, run a switch, and control your DRL's whenever you want to. You'd have to switch them on when you start the car, but they would never ever dim, so long as you wire it properly.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't. Don't let it discourge you. If you get some decent room to work with, you can get the job done in an hour. Good Luck and be sure to post up with your results/findings.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you still wanted to do it just wire it with the foglights..i think that would be the best answer, and not to mention easy...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

cool will get to it this weekend. i was also thinking about doing that but thought there might be another solution thanks again.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hardtopZ
if you still wanted to do it just wire it with the foglights..i think that would be the best answer, and not to mention easy...
that would be the easiest way im sure, that way you already have a switch and dont have to hack places up to run a new switch...

gl with your task let us know how it turns out
Old 07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Are the Camaro DRLs and front signals the same unit like on the Firebird? If so, then rewireing them the way described will lose the front turn signal functionality unless you get creative.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Lights dim when headlights are on!!!!!!