Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1000g Wet Sanding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000g Wet Sanding?

I am gonna do my own ceta job on the TA and gonna start with about 400g to rough up the surface and maybe work up to higher to get good and smooth, prime a few light coats, paint with dupicolor gloss black several light coats. Someone suggested wetsanding the final coat with 1000g. I honestly dont know anything about wetsanding paint, ive just sanded stuff basically for primer adhesion. Can someone tell me if its gonna be necessary to wet sand this job and if so explain exactly how i do it without screwing something up? I dont want to spend 2 days doing it but want it to end up looking good. Advice??
Old 08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Duplicolor, yea, you'll need to wetsand. I would rough the surface up with 120 grit sandpaper. Clean the surface with rubbing alcohol. Next, add 2-3 coats of Rust-Oleum Automobile Primer (available at Wal-Mart in a spray can for $3 in grey or red, get the grey). Space the primer coats out by 15-30 min. Let it dry for a day, sand it down with 400 and 800. Clean surface with rubbing alcohol. Apply paint color of choice. 1st coat should be VERY light (still should see the primer). Build up from there. Probably 4 coats or so. Let it dry for a day. Wetsand it with 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper (again, all available at Walmart by the seat covers and car air freshners), then, clean surface with rubbing alcohol. You could/should then add several coats of clear coat (Duplicolor if you want). Let dry for a day, then wetsand with 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit. Bam, you are done.

If I were you, I'd spend the $40 for Dupont exterior automotive paint and another $40 for Dupont exterior clear coat (O'reilys autoparts can mix this up for you). They can put it in a spray can for you or rent you a spray gun. With that, I did NOT need to wetsand my Berger panel at all, but I did just because I am a perfectionist. It looks great. I am sure you could get similar results from the cheaper paint and not sanding it down that well or using a clearcoat, however, if you are going to put paint on your car, why not do it right one time instead of the wrong way 5 times?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All good points. But for spending all the money on the auto grade paints, renting a sprayer, and all the time I could probably pay a shop to do it for me LOL I would like to do it cheap and easy as possible (obviously) but if the **** is gonna look awful or fall off in 6 months then there is no sense in that. I may end up trying it with just primer and paint carefully and just see how it looks. Maybe use semigloss or flat so its not so hard to make look good??
Old 08-26-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use flat black or satin black the wetsanding will be 1000x easier because gloss paint is hard to make look uniform. You could also ditch the clearcoat. I think that flat or satin black looks better on the CETA bumpers, gotta go with gloss for the Berger panel though.

I know what you're saying about just paying a shop to do it. I have a paint gun and am pretty handy so it ended up being $80 or so, a shop would've charged $300! I'm thinking about getting it overlayed with CF to see how that looks but it'll be a bit. Post pics of your results!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so rough it up moving from harsh to finer grits, a few light primers, several coats of flat or satin. then should I wetsand again or leave it alone? if so, what grit(s) should I use?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wetsanded mine but I really didn't need to because it looked ok. I used spray paint and it came out pretty well

Quick Reply: 1000g Wet Sanding?