Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing tint off the dot matrix

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removing tint off the dot matrix

Im in the process of stripping off the previous owner's tint job. I got the side windows and 90% of the back window but whoever did the tint previously used that adhesive bonder on the dot matrix and NOTHING is getting it off.

Ammonia and a razor blade do diddly squat, it'll strip off maybe 2" of area before dulling the blade, neither does the trash bag trick and the heat gun doesn't do ****. Im on the verge of just sanding it off. Is there anything that will dissolve the glue and the lower layer of tint without harming the glass?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a steamer. thats what i use to take all my tint off and have had good luck thus far
Old 11-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by s10blaza
Im in the process of stripping off the previous owner's tint job. I got the side windows and 90% of the back window but whoever did the tint previously used that adhesive bonder on the dot matrix and NOTHING is getting it off.

Ammonia and a razor blade do diddly squat, it'll strip off maybe 2" of area before dulling the blade, neither does the trash bag trick and the heat gun doesn't do ****. Im on the verge of just sanding it off. Is there anything that will dissolve the glue and the lower layer of tint without harming the glass?
just did the same thing, person before me had put three layers of tint on. go to wal-mart and they have tint adhesive remover in the automotive section with the rest of tint stuff. worked great for me. good luck
Old 11-05-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01blkz
just did the same thing, person before me had put three layers of tint on. go to wal-mart and they have tint adhesive remover in the automotive section with the rest of tint stuff. worked great for me. good luck
Hmm, thanks for the info. My previous owner also tinted the back window but it's peeling really bad.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Well I got it all off. I went to harbor freight and bought a 100 pack of single edge razors and had to use a brand new razor for each stroke i gave it with the scraper. I used probably like 35 razors and half an ammonia for the dot matrix area alone but got it off
Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

not to bring the thread back to life, lol, but did it scratch up the glass when you used those 10,000 razors???
Old 11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Launching!

nope, not a single scratch, if you have it at the right angle with good lubrication you won't scratch it. Also try to make sure you follow the curves of the glass.

Quick Reply: Removing tint off the dot matrix