Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chrome oxidation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default chrome oxidation?

I just picked up a couple of factory chrome wheels that have what looks like chrome oxidation I guess. It looks like overspray on the chrome when the light hits it or you look straight down on it. The wheels had been sitting around for awhile and I don't know if this stuff can be polished off. I tried some of the Heavy Metal Polish blue and it seems to be better as long as I did not get aggressive. This polish has some light abrasives in it and even though it says for chrome on it I wonder if something else would work better. I am wondering if I can bring back the wheels and what it would be best to try to use on them. I am sure you guys have had this on the wheels and know something to use. It may be age or just sitting around and not getting polished that led to this. Any thoughts on what I could try this weekend?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you tried a clay bar? If that doesn't work, I would go with some light compound or polish like you have used. Just take it easy and use only enough pressure to clean them up. If they are really bad off they may need to be stripped and re-chromed. If it takes a real aggressive polish to get them clean, it will probably scratch the chrome anyway. Sorry not much help
Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know someone knows the best metal polish to help this problem.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Flitz or Blue Magic polish. These two are specifically made to clean oxidation without scouring the surface. These are ideal cleaners for clearcoated polished or chrome wheels.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have use White Rubbing Compound with success to remove surface oxidation from chrome. It will not harm or scratch the finish.

Quick Reply: chrome oxidation?