Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Washed my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Washed my car

Living in CT sucks if you dont have a heated garage attached to the house. My Hose always freezes. I even take it off and drain it. The spigit (sp) then freezes. Welp, we had a warm spell were I could run the water and the snow is off of the drive way, I rolled the T/A out. I didn't drive her much this winter, but since the paint is 99% perfect, id like to keep up on her.

This was my techinique, please comment where I could improve.

1 Bucket (dedicated for washing)
1-2 Bath Towels (pretty beat up, not much lint left)
1 Wash mit (dedicated to the car, always rung out and put in a bag, put into the trunk of the car)
1 Bottle of car wash (Armor All, Blue Corral, Miguaires)
1 Leaf Blower

I do the basic stuff, rinsing off the car, getting any heavy stuff. Mix the soap with cold water. I proceed to wash the car, section by section, Once done I re rinse the car x2 over to get any soap.

The hit with the blower, it got all the cracks and tail light area, I even pushed water off of the car. From there I took 1 towel and wiped the car down, made sure there were no streaks or smears.

Basically I am practicing for the summer time, where I live, if I pull it out early, the house blocks the car in the morning, so nothing can leave water spots or swirls.

I have compressed air but the garage is farther away, on a gravel driveway with a garage thats dusty, so I didnt want to grind dust into the paint.

I was very happy trying the leaf blower thing, it got alot of the heavy water off of the car so the towel could absorb the rest.

Is anyone else doing this? Whats your opinion, and what would you do different/better?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I use warm water for my soap bucket, even in the summer. It helps the soap dissolve better and dissolve the dirt off of your car better.

I also use two buckets, I fill the second bucket with clean water so after I'm done washing a section, I dunk the wash mit into the rinse bucket so any particulates can be released there, and not back into the clean wash bucket.

Make sure the wash mit is completely dry before you put it back into the bag, only because you don't want it to grow mold or mildew.

Other than that, it sounds like you're on your way to a clean car.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

I'll try the warm water thing, What I'll do is rinse the car off section by section so the soap wont settle and leave spots.

I like the 2 bucket Idea, so the particulates wont cling or re absorb into the mitt.

I'll leave it hanging were it could dry quickly.

Thanks for the tips
Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lose the bath towels, and get a coupe of waffleweave microfiber towels for drying ..

would also recommend the two bucket method, and the two wash mitt method .. one for the upper panels, one for the lower ..

What type of wash mitts are you using? Choose a good quality lambs wool mitt, and stay away from microfiber mitts..

Make sure you are mixing your wash soap with the correct ratio .. too much soap can cause issues, but so can too little (not enough lubricity)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

I'll pick up some of those towels for next time. My mitt is a cotton mitt.

Ill pay attention to the soap to water ratio.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Washed my car