Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

is it ever too late to wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is it ever too late to wax?

I'm having bad problems with my 94 Z's paint. Being that it is a 13 year old car, it has it's usual paint chipping on the hood, and slightly faded bumpers... but being a white car, the smallest flakes of dirt show up extremely easily, and over time, ruin the paint. My main concern is that the rear quarter panels, rear bumper, and front bumper have literally no clear coat anymore, and the front fenders and part of the front bumper have small grease stains where people have put their hands on the car without any protection. Now, my first thought was... time for a good wax or claybar job to clean it all up again. But I have heard horror stories from people that have ruined the paint by waxing and claybarring that old and worn out of paint.

Does anyone have any insight into this...?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like its time for a new paint job if the clear is gone there is realy nothing you can do
Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

have any pics of your car??
Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Ok i work at turtle wax and have seen cars without clear coat and if you wax it it will basically stain the paint. The wax stays on the unprotected paint and is very hard to get out even with a buffer so i say do not wax the part without clear coat!

Quick Reply: is it ever too late to wax?