Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

polishing question for taillights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default polishing question for taillights

i recently used vht nightshades on my taillights and they weren't very clear or reflective and i was told i need to polish them and clearcoat them.
well i polished them by hand (no buffer) and the next day they had lost their shine. do i polish them and clear them while the polish job is still fresh or what?

here is a link to the other thread in the thread you can see how they looked before. now when i polish them they are very reflective mirror almost but now they are not cloudy like in the pics but just not reflective and clear.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/670344-vht-niteshade-front-yellow-side-marker-red-illuminated-blacked-out-side-marker.html

thanky you for your help
Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

back to the top
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

If you spray them with clear they will shine.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you spray them with clear over top of any polish on there, you'll be sorry, ...
Clean them & wash with soap & water first. Make sure you get all the existing 'polishing' product off of there.
I'd wet-sand lightly with a 2000grit, spray clear-coat, wet-sand with 2000grit, & buy a polisher if I were you. You'll be done in minutes.

Polishing & doing the clearcoat will only make them "shiny".
But I think you know what I'm talking about. If you polish the coating now, & happen to leave the polish or wax on there, when you spray the clear-coat, it may very well create wrinkles, fish-eye, or some other damaging effect. I would simply recommend that you wash them good before applying the clear-coat.

It may be wise to do your center section also. That way all three pieces may be more of a 'matched' set as far as the 'visuals' go.

Is the car a daily driver? Can you take all three of them off & send'em to me? I'll polish'em for a small fee! Where ya located?

Last edited by PontiacFan; 03-12-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

so in effect i am not supposed to polish the paint instead i clearcoat it I have already wetsanded with 1000 and then polish the clear. so i will remove the polish and then clear them and then polish the clear. only question i have is if they currently look like this:

will clearing and then polishing them make them clearer or just reflective.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

It should do a lil bit of both actually

Quick Reply: polishing question for taillights