Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help with body shops.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with body shops.

I recently wrecked my car and now have to find a body shop to do the work. I have gone to a GM dealership and they seemed like a pretty good place. I also went to a small local place and it just didnt seem right. So any advice on how to select a body shop. Also would the dealership be a good place to go? I live in central indiana so any recommendations would be great as well. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you go to a "small local place", ask if they have any references, awards, or claims to fame. Some body shops actually showcase some work just outside their shop.

I myself am actually about to take my car up to Salt Lake City (3 hour drive) because someone on this board recommended him, and he's had a lot of experience restoring Corvettes.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Dealers honestly do some pretty shabby work, believe it or not. They are more concerned about volume than qaulity. most people think dealers are the best place to take their cars, so they get a ton of work, so they knock it out fast without really taking the time to do the work right. Think about it, how many showcars have had their body work and paintwork done at dealerships? NONE!!
your best bet is to find a local shop that has experienced professionals and gaurantees all of their work, say five years down the road the paint starts chipping, if they gaurantee all of their work they will fix it for free. plus it will cost you more monmey at a dealership. small shops dont have as many carsd to work on, so they can focus more on doing your car, the right way!!

Also, if you are in Michigan, i can recommend you to a few very reputable body shops that have done many award winning show cars
Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Find a local shop that doesn't do insurance claims (unless you are going through insurance). That's what I did for my bumper. I went to a big shop for an estimate and they quoted me almost $550 to repair and repaint my bumper. I hit a local shop that was recommended to me (and closer to my house too) and he said he'd do it for $400. I dropped it off a few days later and he worked on it for 3 days. The night he painted it, he was at work until 11pm.

That's dedicated if you ask me and it looks gorgeous. There were a couple pits he couldn't quite fill in completely because I needed it done in three days but I am more than satisfied for the price.

Quick Reply: Help with body shops.