Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I did a bad thing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down I did a bad thing!!!

I came home from the local cruise tonight, pulled in the garage, my car was still really clean. I decided to make a pass over the rear spoiler with my brand new PC that came today. First I wiped it down with the quick detailer & then I took a brand new piece of clay out out the package. I wet the spoiler down & went over the entire spoiler, looked at the clay to check out the "contaminates", it was kind of nasty. I dried off the spoiler & OH DAMN!!!! I see marks over just about every spot that I touched with the clay. Nothing that is not fixable. I made a few passes with the orange LC pad & the TC swirl cutter. Well, it is really smooth & shiny, but it is going to take a little more grit to get the scratches out of the clear. I have been really carefull with the finish, I didn't want to have to go real crazy on the NBM. Now it looks like I will have to do some work on the spoiler.

Any suggestions on what to do next? I have worked in body shops & buffed tons of cars. But like I said, the NBM SS has always just been hand glazed since I've had it. I don't want to take a normal buffer & a cutting pad to it...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Didn't your momma tell you not to and clay bar?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

how hard did you press down with the clay?

Are you sure the surface was clean and ready for claying?

what pads and products do you have to work with ?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you've worked in body shops and done tons of detailing then you should know that the #1 rule is not to start doing anything to a car unless it's freshly washed. Even though it still looked really clean when you came home, driving around is going to gather small particles of dust. These dust particles are what scratched your car. You rub them with anything and it will produce the same result...not just clay.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thmass6
Yeah, if you've worked in body shops and done tons of detailing then you should know that the #1 rule is not to start doing anything to a car unless it's freshly washed.
That is why I'm so mad at myself! I know better!!!!

Originally Posted by Gipraw
how hard did you press down with the clay?

Are you sure the surface was clean and ready for claying?

what pads and products do you have to work with ?
I have access to a Dewalt buffer & assorted pads, I normally use 3M products for buffing deep scratches.

I'm going to mess with it tonight after work, I looked at it this morning, in the sunlight, it looks pretty good, no horrific damage. Under the flood light that I was using in the garage last night, the scratches are still pretty visable.

Better news is that I dropped off my headliner this morning to have it recovered in black. I'll have the ebony interior installed this weekened...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are going to use a rotary to fix this .. use a very light cut, and a non agressive FOAM pad ..

I have seen several cars that had thinner paint on the spoilers, and the shape will lend itself to easily made mistakes ..

pay attention, and don't take any shortcuts ..

I would hit it with a PC first if you can, tso see what you can do with it, prior to the dewalt.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

G10 with a foam pad and water!