Hood Bird/Paint Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Bird/Paint Question.

I just ordered this in black...
http://www.fourthcircledesigns.com/p...products_id=82
When I apply this I want to remove the clearcoat first. This way I can have a paint shop clearcoat over it to help protect and seal it in. Is color sanding easy enough if I take my time? I have no prior body shop experience. I would like to save some money, if possible, by having the paint shop just apply the clear coat. Or should I leave all of this to a pro?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Launching!

I would leave it to a pro, no experience can lead to bigger disasters and end up paying more out of pocket, I would go to a body shop, tell'em what you want, and let them tell you what the next best move would be...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

why do you want it under the clear?

I woould recommend just aplying it to your hood .. that way if you get tired of it in 6 months or a year, you don't have to repaint, you can just remove ..

the decal is very high quality, and it will last you several years ..

not sure what you are looking to gain by clearing over it ..

the decal itself takes a long time to apply, but you can do it yourself pretty easily .. having a helper makes it go much smoother.

just make sure you properly prep the surface .. clay the crap out of the hood .. then follow the instructions that come with the decal.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Launching!

you wont want to put it under the clear....decals were made to "breate" so they can expand and shrink a little under the heat and cold.....if you put it under your clear it will wrinkle the finish....alot of 2nd gen guys have made the mistake thinking it will last longer....